• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BRONCO LEGAL Q&A re: Internet purchases

Seymourpus

BANNED
Loc.
So Cal
With the recent riff raff about paying and not getting after buying on a website...

Question:

Can someone from one state sue someone from another state for not getting a purchased item advertised or auctioned on an internet website? Remember we are 50 states with different rules. Should someone from CA be able to sue someone from MA for a single purchase? Can they file a claim in their home state and make the other party come to that state? Or can they file a claim in the sellers state and go there?

Answer: That all depends. Courts must have specific personal jurisdiction to hear the case. A 2008 internet sale case came up with rules for a court to hear the case.

(1) purposeful direction of activities by defendant toward the state (here CA),
(2) a claim arising out of or related to defendant's related activities in that state (CA), and
(3) reasonableness, fair-play, and substantial justice.

#3 means should someone spend $4,000 to come across country for a $200 suit.

It would boil down to how many times has the person advertised and transacted business in CA and what was the amount of harm.

Essentially, buyer beware most courts will not let you sue an out of state person for a single or several on-line transactions with someone who has little contact with your state.

markperry

Bronco Guru
It sounds like we need a court system that is directed to internet fraud:eek:

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
wow. interesting question, but wow. i can't believe that the "novella" of dirtyboy's unfortunate circumstances has made it this far.

i just think it's interesting how the issue of not getting parts takes precedence over other web related matters. not so long ago, another fellow cb member started a racial/ethnic bash on me and no one came to my defense. but this recent issue has gotten everybody chiming.

i guess perspective differs among everyone and not everyone has the same empathetic trait. i guess that's what makes this world interesting. just like our love for our little rigs-others might think we are crazy. go figure!

happy sunday everyone!

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
not so long ago, another fellow cb member started a racial/ethnic bash on me and no one came to my defense. but this recent issue has gotten everybody chiming.[/QUOTE

I certainly hope you brought this to the attention of admin. If not you're tolerating it just as much as those that didn't come to your defense.

markperry

Bronco Guru
wow. interesting question, but wow. i can't believe that the "novella" of dirtyboy's unfortunate circumstances has made it this far.

i just think it's interesting how the issue of not getting parts takes precedence over other web related matters. not so long ago, another fellow cb member started a racial/ethnic bash on me and no one came to my defense. but this recent issue has gotten everybody chiming.

i guess perspective differs among everyone and not everyone has the same empathetic trait. i guess that's what makes this world interesting. just like our love for our little rigs-others might think we are crazy. go figure!

happy sunday everyone!

Wow, I would have thought were past the racial bashing in this country by now?

If this really happened the members that partook in the bashing should be kicked off the forum:mad:

redburns

Why not just run the transaction through paypal? It can be done for non auction items.

gtownky

Loc.
Cynthiana,KY
I dont know about you all. I will spend 5000.00 to get my 200.00 back or my parts. Im comeing home with something. Some things in life I just dont deal with very well and that is stealing from me or ripping me off. I wouldnt do it to anyone and damn sure Im not going to let it happen to me without some reprocutions.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That is pretty intense. What a freaking idiot trying to fraud so many people and think he can get away with it. At least everyone is living, we can't say that for the turtle. :cry:

No doubt....! :-X