• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Project...July 2 - on the road again!

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
are the b h i measurements from the screw holes or from the left edge(lip)? as well as the c, h, i from the inner part or from the outer body part, also, how can the distance from b to h or i be only 8 or 14 inches?

these will be a great resource for the rotted body on my 72 i'll be doing for the wife.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Yes B, H, I are from the bolt holes.

C, H, I are to the edge of that rear pannel

b to h or I is just going verticle on that post.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Taxx has that right.

B, H & I are the centerline (as best eye-balled) of the fender screw hole. The C, H' & I' are the corresponding horizontal points that are at the 90 bend on the rear panel. Even if you are 50% rotted, something should ring true with your measurements & help guide you!

If you need more measurements, just holler!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
ok taxx, I think I found my problem. Can I bug you for one more question? did your front pan on the drivers side go under your rear pan (simular to the passenger extension pan side)?

If so I've found my problem with my pans not matching up like they should. ?:?
thanks in advance!
Ben

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
On the drivers side. My upper pan turns down there in front of the seat to match the floor. The lip on tha upper is sitting OVER the pass floor. I could not get it to sit underneath. When trying I couldn't get the tunnel to line up. I think the way I have it is stock. Hard to tell for sure but it works.

I can snap some closeups of everthing tonight to explain better.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Yay! I get to spend more money. In mocking up my doors last night with my new lift off hinge design (pics to come) the pass side stricker was in too far. Went to move it and got in a battle with bondo and rust. whoever moved it before put it in to far to compensate for a sloppy body. With all the rust and bondo my ony choice was to replace. And there is nothing solid on the lower rear quarter to weld to so I gotta replace that too. Another $200 down the money pit....

Oh well I can't bring myself to not do it right. My floor pan replacement has turned into a full fledged body resto! Now if only I could buy new fenders and grill instead of patching them.... Thats next time around I guess. This thing is gonna look like new when I am done some day :eek:

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
that is good news in a way taxx........other than the extra money spent, at least you will have new sheetmetal. ;D Keep up the great work. I'm with ya man on the spending to much, and starting doing one thing and ending up spending wayyy to much. And it would be nice to get a new tailgate, new grille, etc etc.......but Since I cant afford to get it all at once. I'm nickel and dimeing em to death a little along the way. one piece this week, and another the following.......eventually both your's and my rig will be nice one day. ;D
Ben

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
As promised some pics of how the floors lay up....

Drivers:
driver_pan.sized.jpg

Pass Side:
pass_pan_2.sized.jpg

pass_pan.sized.jpg

Tunnel:
view_photo.php

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
And today I got the drivers side sitting on its own. Finished up the crossmembers on the driver side and dropped the straps. And got my new striker plate in on the pass side. Then mounted up the doors and it is gonna take some playing with the hinges and possibly a spacer on one but it lines up. All this with my new booty fab lift off hinges. I still have a lot of welding and cleaning up to do, but I feel like its finally starting to come together now!

driver_door.sized.jpg

striker_plate.sized.jpg
liftoff_hinge_installed1_1.sized.jpg

liftoff_hinge_installed1.sized.jpg

lift_off.sized.jpg

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Nice work Taxx! I really enjoy seeing folks bringing these rigs back from the near dead. You're doing a great job and keep on bringin the pics!

Bator

Loc.
Las Vegas
Taxx - The work that you have done on your bronco so far looks really great! I hope that when I start taking mine apart it looks that good going back together! ;D

Bob

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
man your doing a awsome job!!! :eek: :eek:
I really like the lift off door hinges, I may have to build mine that way.Keep on with it and keep the pics coming!
Ben

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Bronco Ben said:
man your doing a awsome job!!! :eek: :eek:
I really like the lift off door hinges, I may have to build mine that way.Keep on with it and keep the pics coming!
Ben

If you decide too I'll tell you how easily I did it. Just takes something to cut with and a welder. I need to reem out the door side a bit so they come on and off a tad easier, its a pretty tight fir right now.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

it was sunny and 55 today and it was killing me not to have the bronco to drive.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Taxx, great job, that's a LOT of work you're getting done in short time!
I see you've got your passenger rear quarterpanel off and the new one sitting in the bed.
I'm on the verge of replacing both my rear quarter panels and am thinking on leaving them uncut. I have 33x12.5 BFG mudterrains.
What size are your tires?
Are you going to cut your rear quarters?

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Same size tires you have. Duff 2.5" lift and a 2" BL and they fit perfect for street use. But they rub like crazy on the trail. As easy as I know how to replace panels now (or atleast I am learning), I will be cutting mine (but not untill its time to paint it in a few months) :eek: It needs to perform on the trail and when I get board of the cut look its not too bad to go back....

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Didn't get anything exciting done today as far as pics go. Got the floors all welded in and crossmembers finished. no more screws!

One more piece I found to rebuild is the inner quarter for the pass side rear Its nothing but used screendoor and seam sealer 4" wide. Will be easy to rebuild when I am done with the rest of this stuff.

Should have her back on the road in a couple few weeks I would think.

looking around at it I had another question. I will be needing to remove this glue and undercoating crap from the bed of the truck before lining it. I also need to clean up some old inner fender panels before I put it back together and paint them. I was thinking the easiest thing to do would be too blast them. Would be nice to have a blaster for other projects too. Harbor freight has a couple simple units for cheap and was wondering if anyone had any input on them for the little I would use one. i know you get what you pay for but....

1)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40925

or 2)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=9588

or 3)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30979
any input?

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Of the three of them, go with #1. But....

....I have to warn you about that unit. It works great pressurizing, but the nozzle at the end wont last a day. I have a good friend who has that unit & we blasted the rims for his MGB. By the time we were working on the 3rd rim, the stop cock wouldn't seal anymore. That is the weakest link. A good quality stop cock is only like $5, though, so not a bad part to replace.

Good luck!

MnkyBiz

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
HA, so you can't turn it off after it blasts itself! ;D

What sort of compressor where you running it with? Mine is a decent residential cambell hausefield compressor but its CFM ratings are towards the low end of what that unit desires. I don't mine some pause time, gotta drink the beer sometime. But I want to be sure I have the cahones to back it up and do a proper job.