• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Project...July 2 - on the road again!

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
very much so. If I could see I would have the second coat of primer on today and start painting the cowel. But its gonna have to wait. But I can see the end and its close! :cool:

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
and so the reassembly has begun.... sort of. Got a coat on the dash and started to get a coat on the firewall. Second coat for the dash will come after it is on the truck.....

I guess I will ruin the color surprise..... (keep in mind this picture is under flouresent lighting...)

dash_004.sized.jpg

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Today:

She really looks like a bronco again. we got the fenders, grill, hood and doors all back on after I finished the dash and windsheild frame on the inside. Tomorrow I am going to start wiring while my buddy stats sanding and prepping.

doors_on.sized.jpg

doors.sized.jpg

hood_on.sized.jpg

window_frame.sized.jpg

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
with the exception of the tach, the water temp, the ignition switch, and the cigar lighter I got everything done on the dash. The last three I am waiting on replacements. Here is how she sits now.

I will get the tach on tomorrow and the engine compartment wired along with the tail lights so I can start testing the wiring. Trying to go slow with it so there will be no errors, but its tight under the dash with the larger wiring and the added gauges.....

dash_005.sized.jpg

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Thanks. Gonna try and get it wired up and running again tomorrow. Then I need to pressure wash the crap out of the inner fenders and quarters and underneath, undercoat it, prep it, and paint it.

So its gonna slow down now, maybe have it done in 2 - 3 weeks. Lots of little stuff to bolt inside and lots of sanding still to do... Worked out well the sister-in-law and husband didn't come down this weekend, I got more time with the immediate family ;)

Its hard to see in that pic. But left of the CB are two square black spots. They aren't holes they are switches. One for the fog lights and another to turn on the CB speaker in the speaker hole.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Upon further inspection I notices I cannot bolt my windshield down until the window is in it for ease of re-install. And I don't want to paint with the glass in, nor do I want to risk moving the freshly painted hinges after I paint the truck when I put the glass in.... hmm guess I need to finish painting the windshield frame and put the glass in bolt it down and paint around it... :p

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Looking real good. You are gonna be a very happy camper in two or three weeks :)

Not my job to complain but you really should have sprayed a little color on the edges of fenders and grill before install. Just makes a much neater job.

horseman

Iam no body expert but I think you should seriously re-think about not putting seam sealer on ALL exteior seams and laps.Everthing ive ever read said that this is must!. Your so close keep up the good work.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
taxx said:
Upon further inspection I notices I cannot bolt my windshield down until the window is in it for ease of re-install. And I don't want to paint with the glass in, nor do I want to risk moving the freshly painted hinges after I paint the truck when I put the glass in.... hmm guess I need to finish painting the windshield frame and put the glass in bolt it down and paint around it... :p

More than one windshield frame hinge has been messed up with fresh paint on it by moving it up and down after a paint job. The factory paint is so thin and anything you spray will be much thicker. Paint the frame up and install the glass later on. No problem getting the glass in there with the frame up. I did mine all by myself. :)

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Taxx, that is looking great! The dash is real nice.
I can't believe how quick you're moving. How many hours a day are you averaging?

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
2badrotties said:
Looking real good. You are gonna be a very happy camper in two or three weeks :)

Not my job to complain but you really should have sprayed a little color on the edges of fenders and grill before install. Just makes a much neater job.

No, all comments are welcome. I am a newbie at this. Its easy enough to pull them off. You talking about the overlapping edges?

As for the seams. Thats not a bad idea. The quarters are getting smoothed out anyway. So they are already welded shut and awaiting some body filler to smooth them a tad more. But some seam sealer on the front seams my abe a good idea.....

As for the frame. I know I can do the glass, but the lower portion is very close to the dash pad and I was concerned about getting it down there, but I guess some lube and some patients and it will work out fine ;)

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Mark Troy said:
Taxx, that is looking great! The dash is real nice.
I can't believe how quick you're moving. How many hours a day are you averaging?

Well like I said before I don't sleep much. I was on spring break (grad school) a week ago and was puttin gin about 8 hours so I could cook dinner and spend time with the wifey. This week was light back at school so I put in long days again. Friday and yesterday where more than 8 hours. AMazing how long it takes to put the dash back together when you are very anal retentive about wiring and everything being polished first. Today will be short cause its a holiday, I just came in to print off schematics for my ignition system. Time to go back to work. maybe the engine compartment will be all wired today???

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
You will have plenty of room to do the glass with the dash and pad installed. As for the edges. Yes , ALL of the edges, even between fenders and grill. It is just so much easier to do them off of the truck and not have to do any taping later on. Inside edge to door post, edge inside of hood, they are all a pain to do later on. Other than that, I have no complaints ;D , you are doing a great job.

OP
OP
taxx

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
Inside edge of hood I got figured out, but didn't even think about the back edge ?:?

Here I thought we were being smart putting them on as to not nick them.... guess I'll get it cleaned up and pull the hood and hit that edge at the very least. Not painting the underside, but if I am going to pull it maybe I will go ahead and make it look nicer underneath.... Gotta learn one way, thanks for the tip. ;)