• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Purchase Road Trip

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a bronco on the opposite side of the country from me. I am planning on making a road trip out of picking it up. It's a pretty special bronco for me so I want to document the entire trip and preservation of the rig and also do a long road trip after it is completed. I originally was considering an enclosed trailer but that will add to the already expensive fuel cost as well as inhibit any cool photos I could get along the way with the bronco in them so I am considering pulling my open trailer or renting a uhaul out in Cali. I will be pulling it with my 2014 F250 6.7L 4X4.

I would love to make this adventure all about broncos and meet some bronco folks along the way. If you are somewhat near this map I'd love to connect or if you have any ideas of a camp spot along the way or a view I shouldn't miss let me know. I could also possibly use a driveway to park and sleep in. I haven't made it to any western events so it'd be awesome to put some faces with the screen names on here. My map isn't set in stone and my time is fairly limited but I don't want to rush the entire time and would consider detours..

Eventually I would like to take these photos as well as additional work related and completion road trip pics and make a coffee table book about the preservation of this bronco. I would love to meet some of the folks from CB and include them or their rigs in the book if they would like. This forum and many of its members and their rigs are a big reason I became obsessed with broncos and still remain so.

My plan is to head out on July 6th or 7th and I will need to be back in NC by on July 19th. It isn't too much time considering all the driving but I think it will be worth it considering the bronco and the possibility to see some folks and friends along the way. I am looking forward to this adventure and sharing it with everyone. I will post updates along the way on CB as well as instagram @JZWPhoto.

If you don't want to post publicly feel free to reach out in a private message.
Road_Trip.png

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like an a great idea and adventure !

I agree about the enclosed trailer because I was pulling my '66 enclosed from Super Cel East once and was envious of the guys passing me on the Interstate with their beautiful Bronco's proudly displayed for all to see. On the flip side (if the Bronco you are picking up is a super nice work of art) the enclosed offers piece of mind from things like hail damage, etc.

Congrats on getting your special Bronco, have a safe trip, and look forward to an awesome book someday!

Norm

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
What a great plan. On your proposed route through Omaha. You do get close to me, in Lincoln. Maybe a meet up in Omaha is possible with others from the area. My Bronco will not be finished in time to bring to Omaha but I would like to meet up.

Fred

P.S. And there is a Fred in Omaha on CB's as well.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Wow, quite a trip! Not even close to us up here in New England but that would be way out of the way. Safe travels and enjoy the drive. Cannot wait to see the trip in photos.

Life’s a journey, not a guided tour!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Road trips like that with that much time is a dream! You’re missing me by about 60 miles on I-40.

Red Rock Canyon in Hinton OK is worth a stop. The canyon is very unique for OK and if you are a history guy there are wagon ruts in the rock from the California Trail in several locations. There is also an interesting car museum in Hinton. Once you reach Oklahoma City and west there are several attractions along Route 66 that parallels I-40, like the National Route 66 Museum in Elk City.

Last edited:

RealJakeMalloy

Hey - I am in Atlanta and needing to haul my Bronco to San Diego in July - not sure which direction you are going and if the timing will line up but will shoot you a DM just in case. Sounds like a great trip for you!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks like an adventure! Lots of good photo opportunities along your route.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I'm in area code 95037, appears that I could be on your route of travel.
Not sure where you are stopping to load up or how much time you will have, but if I'm around be happy to meet up.

Doug.

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
Looks like you are coming across I80 through Illinois, my shop isn't far off the highway if you need a parking lot to sleep in. New Lenox Illinois

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
West Michigan has some of the best beaches (in the summer, of course). St. Joseph is about 30 miles from the Indiana toll road (plus you can take I-94 across Michigan and avoid all the tolls). I don't know if that is on your way there or the way home. There's a nice KOA campground in Coloma (the owner is or was in a local offroad (J**p) club). I'll stop and say "hi" if the timing is right, but summer is busy between work and play.

https://www.michiganbeachtowns.com/beaches/st-joseph/

https://www.berriencounty.org/1295/Silver-Beach-County-Park

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a bronco on the opposite side of the country from me. I am planning on making a road trip out of picking it up. It's a pretty special bronco for me so I want to document the entire trip and preservation of the rig and also do a long road trip after it is completed. I originally was considering an enclosed trailer but that will add to the already expensive fuel cost as well as inhibit any cool photos I could get along the way with the bronco in them so I am considering pulling my open trailer or renting a uhaul out in Cali. I will be pulling it with my 2014 F250 6.7L 4X4.

I would love to make this adventure all about broncos and meet some bronco folks along the way. If you are somewhat near this map I'd love to connect or if you have any ideas of a camp spot along the way or a view I shouldn't miss let me know. I could also possibly use a driveway to park and sleep in. I haven't made it to any western events so it'd be awesome to put some faces with the screen names on here. My map isn't set in stone and my time is fairly limited but I don't want to rush the entire time and would consider detours..

Eventually I would like to take these photos as well as additional work related and completion road trip pics and make a coffee table book about the preservation of this bronco. I would love to meet some of the folks from CB and include them or their rigs in the book if they would like. This forum and many of its members and their rigs are a big reason I became obsessed with broncos and still remain so.

My plan is to head out on July 6th or 7th and I will need to be back in NC by on July 19th. It isn't too much time considering all the driving but I think it will be worth it considering the bronco and the possibility to see some folks and friends along the way. I am looking forward to this adventure and sharing it with everyone. I will post updates along the way on CB as well as instagram @JZWPhoto.

If you don't want to post publicly feel free to reach out in a private message.

Driveway space available in Fremont, CA 94536

You show Campbell, CA 95008 as a destination. That's an oddly specific location.

You might reconsider your priorities in your journey from Santa Rosa to Los Angeles. The only reason to take Interstate 5 is because you want to get to your destination in the most boring and efficient manner possible. There are multiple alternate routes near the coast that are trailer friendly, and vastly more interesting.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Wow. Sounds like an adventure for sure. I am just three stoplights north of I-40 in Albuquerque if the timing works out (would need to be before the 17th as I am out of town at the end of that week). You could get a picture of the Chariot and Action Broncos in one pop along side your dream Bronco.