• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Script Valve Covers and Roller Rocker interference

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
I just tried installing a set of black Scott Drake bronco script valve covers, permaseal gaskets, breather and hardware that I got from Wild Horses and I'm having interference problems. I got a new set of Edelbrock RPM heads and comp cams 1.6 roller rockers (part number for chevy). My friend that has been an engine builder for 40 plus years says that the rockers will work for a 302. The problem I'm having is that the oil deflector that is attached to the inside of the valve cover, under the breather, is hitting on the pivot of the rocker panel (side pivot). I installed this valve cover with the 1 1/4 inch breather on the passenger side head (the one with interference problems). I installed the pvc valve cover on the drivers side head. I unbolted the deflector from the passenger head and bent the deflector but I'm leary of the rocker rubbing on the deflector. If I were to remove the 2 bolts that hold the deflector in the head, and completely remove it, what can I install in the 1 1/4 inch diameter riser on the valve cover to deflect the oil prior to it getting to the air filter? Does it matter which valve cover gets installed on which head? :p

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Comp cams magnum roller tip rockers work. Procomp makes ones like Comp Cams. Also valve cover spacers work but don't look original.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I run roller rockers under stock valve covers had to clearance the baffles I just bent them in so they cleared. no issues. it doesnt matter what valve cover goes where or what side the PCV valve is on.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I used Harland Sharp roller rockers and didn't have this problem with my Bronco script valve covers. It was nearly twenty years ago though. Maybe things have changed.

OP
OP
Green76

Green76

Loc.
Sherman, Texas
I ended up "squeezing" the internal baffle to about half the original opening size, seems to be clearing. Thanks for the input, I can't wait to fire it up with the new Performer RPM heads....