• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Selling Blues

tmacstickman

As busy as I am and others on the site, I need to vent and share my current evilbay selling experience and ask for your thoughts. So I posted my 76 Ranger with all the pertinent details, terms and conditions. It is a very fair price for the Bronco. Deposit from winning bidder was to be recieved within 24 hours of auction ending, I'd allow an extra day. Here's where it goes to hell.

I sent a message to the buyer with address to send the check right after the auction ended on the 25th. On the 26th I recieve a reply that check was being sent that day. I get basically the same thing on the 27th, with them adding that they may fly in to drive the Bronco back this weekend, and I still have not recieved a dime. Being a reasonable person I am not making that big a deal at this point that I have not recieved the deposit, instead I suggest that they can come in and look at the Bronco, but a 10 hour drive may not be a good idea since it has not been driven much in the last year or so. I have no specific mechanical concerns about the Bronco, but I would not drive it that far right now. Myabe I am being too cautious.

Anyway, I finally recieve the deposit yesterday the 29th and they want to have the transport company pick up the Bronco on the 1st, before final payment. They wanted to send half, get the Bronco, look it over and then send the rest "If it checks out". WTF?! Of course I explained that this is not how I listed the terms and that final payment must be recieved and clear the bank before the Bronco goes anywhere.

I get an e-mail - "The check is coming on Monday morning and they will not pick the car up before that. It was $89 to overnight the check with no guarantee they could get the car by then anyway. They will call you when they know they are Arriving. Also, the check is guaranteed. Talk to you soon."

Clear right? Wrong!

I take the deposit to my bank (M&T) and ask them their policy on cashiers check from out of state. They said 2-3 days at least and sometimes longer on out of state.

I e-mail this to the buyer and she calls me. They dont believe the policy and assure me the check is in the mail and I will recieve it on Monday, AND that the transport company will be there Monday to pick up the Bronco!

What the hell am I missing?

We spend 20 minutes where she would not let me talk. Finally I said her schedule was too tight for things to work out. I suggested she call my bank and try to work out an electronic transfer if this was not good for her. She wanted to argue that if I ahd accepted paypal she would have paid the paypal fees to speed things along. Sorry, but I do things the way I do things and everyone does not have to agree with it.

She accusues me of having a lien on the Bronco and suggests that I am not being legit. Fianlly I told her the best date for the pick up, since it HAD to be on a Monday to FIT HER SCHEDULE, would be Nov 8.

She pissed and moaned about sending the payment out overnight and everything else about this transaction. After she hung up on me I thought for a minute that I did not want to sell her the Bronco, even though it is for her son, and introduce them to the brotherhood and have them be terrible members of this great site and resource.

Does this sound bad to anyone else?

I have no siding on my house, no floor and I need this $$ to get this done so me and my family can use this much neede space. 6 of us in 2 BR's and 1 bath currently until we get this finished and get final inspection.. As bad as I want his to get done I am very tempted to call her, and I actually did but she didnt answer, and tell her I'd rather wait another week or so and sell it to the right people.

There is some sound reasoning on this site, and i ask you all...

Where am I wrong in this?

What would you do?

Thanks for the ear.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Seller sets all of the rules for the sale, protect yourself and make sure you have full payment in your bank and cleared before that Bronco goes anywhere. If she wants to pay with a cashiers check then call the bank that it is written on and make sure it is legit or demand she brings cash. If the transaction is not working for you then relist it and sell it again.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I will only take so much BS from people before I decide I will get more happiness from telling them to shove it and do things my way. If you think it will be relatively easy to sell the Bronco again for the price you want, don't put up with the headache. If you need the cash right away, sometimes you have to put up with the ridiculousness.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Two words: WIRE TRANSFER
The other two is : Protect yourself.

Its your vehicle and you should dictate the terms of the sale.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Sounds like she overbid and doesn't have the money 'right now' to buy it. If she can't pay for it all up front, then she should have contacted you before the bidding ended to work it out before hand. Per ebay policy she's a bum buyer because she hasn't met the terms of the sale, PERIOD!

Contact her and make ONE last attempt to come through with 100% of the sales price before she takes possession or you relist it. Document the attempts and the 'change' of payment options she keeps asking for so your covered. If it was my sale, and the deposit wasn't recieved by the end of the expected period, I would have re-listed it. If she was 'very' upfront before the auction was over, I might be more willing to deal with her...

Good luck

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Seller sets all of the rules for the sale, protect yourself and make sure you have full payment in your bank and cleared before that Bronco goes anywhere.

Exactly right.. Don't let it happen any other way!

OP
OP
tmacstickman

tmacstickman

I dont think it's an issue of not having all the money right now. To be honest it started to sound like a bad scam attempt, getting me to release the Bronco just because I would have a check in hand, and that should be good enough. Once I get the check on Monday, than I will believe she actually sent it.

BUt yeah, if she had a problem with anything at all, she should have discussed this with me prior to biidding. I recieved ALOT of calls on this Bronco, and some were from some real crackpots, and she may have called and I didnt return the call. But she could have left me a VM about her intentions.

I am even in the process of putting in a new alternator in the Bronco on my dime just so I can feel good about it being right when they get it.

Thanks for the input, I am feeling better about it.

capt. bronco

Wire transfer is the way to go. I think it actually takes 20 mins. to clear your acct. Then overnight them the title via fedx or ups or usps. That way everything is ready when the carrier comes. The wire transfer fee I think is $60. All you need to give them is your acct number and routing number. Tjis way also they can't stop payment on wire transfer once it clears. You overnighting the title gives you a tracking number for the buyer. Good luck

vintage bronco

to bad i am having my 65 cyclone painted and a engine rebuild on my gpz 1100 i more than likely would buy it since there seems nothing half decent available bronco wise close to maryland. I would relist it your the seller and your terms NO EXCEPTIONS !

matts70

Loc.
Northwest Indiana
This sounds fishy. On top of that, what are the odds that when the vehicle arrives, she will find problems with it and demand some/all of her money back? Worse yet, what if she puts a stop payment on the check? You don't need that.

She didn't meet the requirements of the transaction. Cancel the sale, alert ebay you suspect potential fraud, sell it to somebody else who will appreciate it.

Then again, I once refused to sell a motorcycle to a guy because (in my opinion) he was being a jerk. I sold it a couple months later to someone else. . . for $50 less because buyer #2 wasn't a jerk.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Checks can reject even two weeks later. BANK WIRE or CASH only. These idiots will likely stop payment on the check or withdrawl the money from the account. I would NOT ship it Monday......

OP
OP
tmacstickman

tmacstickman

This sounds fishy. On top of that, what are the odds that when the vehicle arrives, she will find problems with it and demand some/all of her money back? Worse yet, what if she puts a stop payment on the check? You don't need that.

She didn't meet the requirements of the transaction. Cancel the sale, alert ebay you suspect potential fraud, sell it to somebody else who will appreciate it.

Then again, I once refused to sell a motorcycle to a guy because (in my opinion) he was being a jerk. I sold it a couple months later to someone else. . . for $50 less because buyer #2 wasn't a jerk.

Matt, you are dead on. Even though I was clear on the condition of the Bronco, I believe as pushy and unreasonable as she has been, she will find something to complain about. But, after having the rest of the day to think things over I have come to the conclusion that I am getting, and she is paying, a fair price for the Bronco. And aside from her BS, I am going to stick to my terms and take her money, finish my house and be done with the beotch!

OP
OP
tmacstickman

tmacstickman

If the check has not cleared the shipper leaves without it, plain and simple.

I gotta tell you Pete, I dont know how someone could expect it to be any other way. But somehow she does!

Allow the Bronco to go whether the check has cleared or not? I dont think so.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I gotta tell you Pete, I dont know how someone could expect it to be any other way. But somehow she does!

Allow the Bronco to go whether the check has cleared or not? I dont think so.

She may be old enough for when a handshake was good enough. Unfortunately to many people are looking for easy money now a days.

73explorer

Loc.
Fayetteville, NC
i dont think people even read the ads. the last item i listed had a paragraph long "ask questions BEFORE you bid, its a USED item, not new, etc, etc and yet the buyer nit-picked and hee-hawed for weeks afterward, wanted me to send more pics before he sent pmt. i think most people bid too much (for a sight unseen item) then want to complain afterward.

the key word i read from your post is "if it all checks out" - well, that is the first flag to me. if they pay thru paypal, you are screwed if they want to cause trouble, they can refund that money from your bank acct. saying the item was misrepresented in the ad (ie they will find some fluid dripping or hole in the muffler)

OP
OP
tmacstickman

tmacstickman

I will use paypal for small transactions, but never for large items.

Each day bought on something different with this person, and i strongly felt like it was a scam. I did recieve the final payment today, now let's see if it clears.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Sorry to hear about all this bs you are going thru!! Hope the check clears for you. In the future do a wire transfer it is fast, safe, and proves the money is real. Or of course cash. Good luck hope it all works out!