• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco trip from OR to NC and back, am I crazy?

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I am close to getting my Bronco running again after a 10+ year sleep. What is left to do is put on my BCB headers and exhaust, new distributer and wires, finish under hood wiring (3G alt, coil, and ground straps), bleed the brakes, change the oil and hook up the mechanical oil gauge, then prime the motor and fire it. Also, I need to have my roadster inserts fitted so I can put on a soft top and soft doors and I do realize that there may be some transmission (C4) and engine issues after sitting so long. I am very excited about driving my Bronco again!

My kids live in North Carolina and I have driven back there before and picked them up for my summer parenting time. We always have had a blast camping back across the country to Oregon. This year if I can, I want to take the Bronco. Seeing the sights in an open air vehicle has always been fun using the soft top without windows as a sunshade. The trip to NC would be done in 4 1/2 days with unlimited time coming back OR.

Am I nuts for wanting to take my Bronco towing a M416 military trailer on 35's full of camping stuff on a 7000 mile trip? The Bronco rides great and is comfortable, especially with the gear in the trailer, and I used to drive it everywhere. With gas prices still low the thought of this adventure sounds fun. Most Bronco owners are a little different in a good way, but have I gone over the edge?

Z Bronco

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
It would be a lot of fun - I'd try and least daily drive it long as possible to get some miles on it to shake out any possible issues. Get comfortable with it and do it!

Got AAA? I would for a trip like that...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
X3 on testing it out for a while before taking the trip... Would be a blast though, take LOTS of Pics...

nysledge

Loc.
Greensboro NC
That sounds like a great road trip. I would let Bronco driver know about your plans and chronicle your trip. Keep the board posted as you go as well in case you need some help along the way

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
That sounds like a great road trip. I would let Bronco driver know about your plans and chronicle your trip. Keep the board posted as you go as well in case you need some help along the way

Excellent point. If you make sure you have contact info for helpful folks along your route, then if something does happen you will have a much better chance of dealing with it easily and not disappointing your kids.
Tom

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I think thats a great idea. My folks did this when my brother & I were in our mid teens. One of the best times in my life. On the road across the US for 6 weeks.
One thing to remember stuff will wear out. My dad and I did a brake job, replaced some belts and hoses and a tune-up during the trip. All with the basic 100 piece craftsman tool kit.
Test out the truck and I say go for it.

(I'm kinda jealous I want to tag along!)

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Very cool. I was thinking of a road trip from L.A. to New York in my 66. Only 2 problems, I can only get time off during August(too hot) and my girlfriend won't even hit the road to Vegas with me and back so I can't imagine she'd go with me! (Actually the second problem is not really a problem depending on how you see it) So if I go it will be solo! I do agree, drive it alot and hard around town before you attempt going so far.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Sounds like that will be great. It's always an adventure in an older vehicle, but if you have faith in it you'll get there.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds like a great idea. No matter what happens, it will be a trip you will remember!;D

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Just do it, my kids remember everywhere we went. If you pass though St. Louis give me a call.
Steve

ransil

Bronco Guru
I did it, had a blast, trip was 8 week long zig zaged the US.
Just have internet access case you need parts or help.
It was pre-internet when I did had some expensive breakdowns ( any one need a $500 brake drum)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do it. You will love it and have a ton of memories. I did it last year as far east as Northern Wisconsin from San Jose. Going again this summer. Bring spares and tools, and enjoy!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Definitely do it. I would say plan on driving just about every day for several weeks prior to starting your trip. A good 1500-2000 miles, change the oil again before you go...and of course double check all the new work.

We had about 2500-3000 miles on the Bronco after the frame off before we drove it to Key West from Indianapolis...had a couple minor problems, nothing serious--fuel filters clogging from all the crap that ended up in the tank and a broken clutch rod, which was a 10 minute fix-as I had a spare.
Before that, with about 500 miles on it we drove it from Indy to Detroit for the Red Bull Air Race. Both trips were fun, but the trip to FL was marred by alot of rain.

I am driving it this summer to CO for 2 wks. 1st week will be total roaming, the second week my wife flys in and we have a condo...but will take day trips and such. She wants to go wheeling. Cant wait. To me thats what these trucks are all about getting there, getting IT done, and cruisin around. Eventually, I'd like to drive it to AK or Central America...but I would need at least a month to do either.

I also have one of those military trailers. Thought about using it for the upcoming trip, but I figure its not really necessary. Do you have yours outfitted as a camper or do you use it more as an extra bed? I know mine knocks down the fuel economy by about 10-20%....that can/could really add up on a long trip. Do you have that much gear to bring or do you just need the space for the girls once you get there? If you happen to pass through Indy on your trip, give me a heads up.

Have fun.

John

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I would suggest posting your route on the forum so you can make some contacts with the people on here that is on your route. That way if something did happen there would be a helping hand along the way. There are some great people on this board that will always lend a hand.

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I just came in from the garage doing more work on the Bronco, checked the computer and Wow........Amazing, thanks for all the support and great ideas. I am trying to get the Bronco running by the first week in May so I can have time to work out any bugs that may appear. I will be leaving for North Carolina June 12th and the Bronco is what I want to take (Plan B is my Jeep Liberty).

The military trailer hauls all the gear as we mostly remote camp with it here in Oregon. I don't have a bed or tent on it yet, but have plans to put a type of tent on top with hinged access to the stuff in the trailer, probably a year or so away from that project. The trailer has been great hauling plenty of water and supplies allowing camp to be wherever we end up. It has a vinyl cover that was made for the trailer keeping stuff dry and I also have a gas can mount in front for extended desert trips.

With hard work and some luck I hope to pull this off.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Definately go for it, memories will last a lifetime. Post your route, locals can help if a situation arises, guide you to the best camping/ eating/ sightseeing.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
May be passing you on my way west...leaving out on June 17th. If you get to Indy before that look me up/PM me. Good luck getting it ready for the trip.

Post some pics of your trailer when you can, I am looking for ideas.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
. . . I will be leaving for North Carolina June 12th and the Bronco is what I want to take (Plan B is my Jeep Liberty).

That might be good timing to drop by the East Coast Round Up on your way back! I know it's a bit out of your way, but not much really considering the 3000 + miles to get back home. Not sure where in NC but may just be a couple of hundred miles to Gore, VA. The Round Up is June 18-20. We would give you a great send off!! ;D

(And you would surely win the "farthest traveled award"!!)

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
My kids now live in Camden, NC which is near Elizabeth City, they used to be in Wilmington. I pick them up June 17th, so this may be possible. Is there an entry application for the East Coast Round Up, sounds fun!