• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Two Cell Phones zero

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Oh no I did it again

Was working on the Bronco Saturday, I get a call so I pick up the phone. Since my hands were a little greasy and holding a wrench or two, I put the phone down on the latch area behind the grill.

Finished the work, put the tools away, and shut the hood. For some reason it didn't want to latch??????????????? Opened it back up and OOPPS there is or was my cell phone.

I should have known better as I did the same thing 3-4 years ago when I installed the Saganaw steering pump. So thats two perfectlly good cell phones my Bronco has smashed. :eek:

So I am not sure what to do, remove the hood latch and go with hood pins?????? or if I smash a 3rd phone does that mean I have to give up cell phones %) %)

PolarrrBearrr

Loc.
P.R. of NJ
Invest in a pair of Carhartts with the little pocket on the right leg and stick the phone there. I use it like a little holster.

Or just stop taking the cell phone into the garage.

Johnny

I did that here not long ago.... Was working on my Lightning, laid the cell phone down, forgot about it and closed the hood.... pulled out on the highway and stopped, then launched it out of the hole up to around a hundred and twenty or so.... come back parked it, popped the hood, and there laid my cell phone with nary a scratch... Man was I lucky...

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I did that here not long ago.... Was working on my Lightning, laid the cell phone down, forgot about it and closed the hood.... pulled out on the highway and stopped, then launched it out of the hole up to around a hundred and twenty or so.... come back parked it, popped the hood, and there laid my cell phone with nary a scratch... Man was I lucky...

Ya but the Lightning has a nice flat place to put it where the hood latch can't get to it. 120mph you wimp. hehe

So what have you done to your Lightning???
Nice to see another Lightning owner

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think you need to build some body armor for the phone.

nelson_bros

Loc.
los anchorage
maybe you should fab up a little cell phone cup-holder/holster on your inner fender or your radiator support that the phone could survive a little ride in.

i have tried the Carhartt side pocket trick, but my phone has slid out of those pockets too many times to remember.

i've been thinking i should start wearing bib overalls and put it in the chest pocket...

jarrod

65 mustang

You should make a nice diamond plate "phone holder" to put under the hood!Scott (Nelson beat me to the idea) Great minds think alike.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
It is a unwritten rule when we camp that all cell phones are turned off, otherwise we all get one shot each at it with shotguns but you can't use any larger than #4 buck shot unless the cell phone costs more than $ 5.00 then anything goes.;D

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Don,

Next time buy the insurance, I left my cell on the trunk lid and the next morning drove to Logan to catch a 5 am flight to Colombia and since it is not an international phone I did not plan to take it anyway, long story short I remembered when I came home and it was obviously some where between home and Boston. Insurance replaced it no questions asked. My daughter broke hers in two, no questions asked...

Last edited:

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
You can't get insurance on the iPhone, but it fits well enough in any pocket that I don't have that laying down trouble.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Oh crap.. lol, sounds like something I would do.. :(

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
That is just the reason I leave my phone upstairs out of the garage. I'd do something just like that or leave it on the welding table and forget it until I finished welding discovered all the little hole burned in it.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
So thats two perfectlly good cell phones my Bronco has smashed. :eek:

Well first off, you need to quit blaming your bronco for something you did, or it will grow tired of your insolence and leave you on the side of the road. Own it. Say it with me - "I smashed the phone. It was not the bronco's fault". Now that you're past the denial stage, get a new phone and leave it on a shelf in the garage next time you're working on the bronco. When you're spending quality time with your rig, just let the phone ring. :)

Johnny

So what have you done to your Lightning???
Nice to see another Lightning owner

Not much really... cold air intake, full bassani exhaust, pullies, MSD Box and wires, smog deleted, 2400 stall, and built trans.... runs ok.. Best I can get out of it is a 14.5 in the quarter, but that was spinning off the line with street tires.. If I could hook it off the line, I'd say I could get in the 13's... Still slow, but not for what it is... I see you have a gen 2 with a little bit of horsepower, Not a bad ET either... Mines a gen 1... 94 model..

lightning10-001.jpg

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Not much really... cold air intake, full bassani exhaust, pullies, MSD Box and wires, smog deleted, 2400 stall, and built trans.... runs ok..Mines a gen 1... 94 model..

Cool I used to have a 93 and loved that truck, yours looks very clean.

Well first off, you need to quit blaming your bronco for something you did, or it will grow tired of your insolence and leave you on the side of the road. Own it. Say it with me - "I smashed the phone. It was not the bronco's fault". Now that you're past the denial stage, get a new phone and leave it on a shelf in the garage next time you're working on the bronco. When you're spending quality time with your rig, just let the phone ring. :)

hehe I am not really blaming the Bronco, just having some fun with my own stupidity.

It is my own fault, could have just clipped it back in the belt clip.

I allready bought a new phone, but I hate this new model. I tried to get it fixed, but the mother board is cracked. I have been, and still am bidding on some of the i880 that I smashed over on evil bay. If I can find one at a good price, I will activate that and return the new crappy phone.

Hey if anyone has a good nextel i880 they don't need let me know