• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco VS Jeep VS Blazer

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
The post office - as with any other government agency - set pot to obtain the most vehicle for the lowest price and they got it - a 2 wheel drive jeep.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=30#58659 date=1029976859]<br> the most vehicle for the lowest price and they got it - a 2 wheel drive jeep. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Is that a bad thing?

MI-Bronco

[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=30#58677 date=1029979098]<br>[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=30#58659 date=1029976859]<br> the most vehicle for the lowest price and they got it - a 2 wheel drive jeep. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Is that a bad thing?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Only if you have a thing about golf carts passin you up ;D

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I just checked and Cherokees are smaller than Broncos. I mean if not having a frame bothers you (as much as it bothers me) then go that route. Jeepster is kinda right in the way of if you can't work on it and don't want to throw down the cash on a beauty then whatever Bronco you end up getting will just be a pain in the ass. I know a guy who has to take his Bronco to the shop for the littlest things (clutch linkage adjustment, oil change, starter) and he never gets to drive it because it stays down at the shop so much. So keep that in mind. You really have to evaluate what you want to spend your money on. Thinking about it now I don't think a carbureted V-8 will be fun to "take the dogs to park" in the winter when you have to let it warm up for 10 minutes before it will even move. I think you expect turnkey EFI performance out of an old Bronco that wasn't designed for it. My advice is get something newer if you don't want to work on it all the time.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
Well goddamn it right when I get myself convinced that i'll all be OK, someone throws cold water on me. :p<br><br>Well, what if I was able to spend more than 5-7k? I am expecting to put some money in it, and I will have more money in January (5k more). I have 3 options:<br>1. buy a 10k machine now and put 5 of it on credit and pay it off in january<br>2. buy a 5k machine now and put 5k in it in january<br>3. wait until january and buy an 10k machine (the sensible choice - ew)<br><br>but really, maybe i'll learn a lot from option 2. and maybe nothing will break until january. and wouldn't it be nice to figure out what i want as i go and customize it all myself? pick my own colors - choose my own options...<br><br>ah, human reason... ::)

Tuck

I'm coming into this thread late as usual, but I noted a disturbing problem. <br><br>Almost everyone here is male. A female asks what to buy, & guys go straight to tech. That's the problem with political correctness. <br><br>I figure a female asks what to buy between 3 vehicles, SOMEONE would step up & tell her to <br>A. Get a skimpy bikini<br>B. Take pics beside each vehicle<br>C. Let us decide which one she looks best in THEN<br>D. After we get to see her in her skimpy bikini, we tell her to get the EB anyway, just like we were going to do to begin with. Now we're out some cool pics :mad: :mad: :mad:<br><br>Seriously, the key to your own EB nirvana is to be patient, look around (not just 1 website. I've seen a few in ad papers like Thrifty Nickel), & find the right one for you. If you don't, you may find your EB sitting in your garage for a year without the time or the money to get it back on the street. Don't ask me how I know, just trust me on this one. <br><br>

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=Tuck link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=45#58771 date=1029991564]<br>I'm coming into this thread late as usual, but I noted a disturbing problem. <br><br>Almost everyone here is male. A female asks what to buy, & guys go straight to tech. That's the problem with political correctness. <br><br>I figure a female asks what to buy between 3 vehicles, SOMEONE would step up & tell her to <br>A. Get a skimpy bikini<br>B. Take pics beside each vehicle<br>C. Let us decide which one she looks best in THEN<br>D. After we get to see her in her skimpy bikini, we tell her to get the EB anyway, just like we were going to do to begin with. Now we're out some cool pics :mad: :mad: :mad:<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Now you may understand why I started http://www.greasergrrls.com - cause men are PIGS! :p<br><br>

Tuck

PIGS!?!?!?!?!? OINK Why do you say that? OINK I can't believe you OINK think that way OINK ;D ;D ;D<br><br>

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
This isn't A Femi-nazi "Womyn" thing is it? Really if you want a Bronco so bad, get one. We're just trying to tell you that is no Japanese-built crackerbox that will run without ever changing the oil. It is high maintenance machine but I just don't think you quite know the extent of having to constantly upgrade. Even if your Bronco is "perfect" you will still be working on it 24/7.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Before we get too wacko here, I must ask this question of you grrl. A little background check if you will. These questions might help us determine your "skills" if you will to see just how nice a rig you need to see your quest to fruitation. Please dont take any offence to some of these qusetions, they are designed to ferret out your "skill" level. Ok here goes: <br>Do you own tools? (screwdriver,pliers,hammer dont count)<br>if you do, can you pick up the box their in?<br>Are you a "girly"grrl who freeks out if you <br> a) break a nail<br> b) get dirt under your nails<br> c) have nails longer than....well have nails ::) ;D<br>Have you ever changed a tire?<br>jacked a car up? (own a jack,jack stands?)<br>changed your oil?<br>gotten oil running down your arm?<br>had something fall into your eyes while under the car changing your oil?<br>do you look a tool catalogs?<br>has any vehicle youv'e owned ever drawn blood while working on it?<br>do you have any old shirts you dont mind wearing while working on your rig and then throwing away?<br>Have you ever used "colorful" lanquage while working on your ride?<br>I could go on and on but, lets see where we stand here.<br><br><br><br>

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Objectively speaking greasergrrl, "cars have been thought of as a male dominated field - is this bad? It depends. Is this fair - no. The roles we are accustom to in life have their roots in generations old methodology and breaking out of those roles isnt easy. When someone assumes a role that is outside our perceived norms, we feel uncomfortable and act out. It takes time to break down the ideas of gender bias and aren't helped with sweeping generalizing like:
  • Get a skimpy bikini
  • Take pics beside each vehicle
  • Let us decide which one she looks best in THEN
  • After we get to see her in her skimpy bikini, we tell her to get the EB anyway, just like we were going to do to begin with. Now we're out some cool pics
or like:
Just a note to all of us who are "surprised" about the mechanical abilities of women, my neighbor has literally built 3 Harleys (a 51 Hard Tail, 66 FLH, and a 76 Sportster) as well as restoring a 76 "Bandit" style Trans Am. Hell! I am always asking her for help on my EB and end up with both my neighbor and my girlfriend getting grease under their fingernails!

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=76Broncofromhell link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=45#58792 date=1030004984]<br>This isn't A Femi-nazi "Womyn" thing is it? [/quote]<br><br>hey, he started oinking, so i brought out the feminazi stick. we obviously swing to different extremes, but really i'm a middle of the road easygoing kind of person until i'm pushed. nyah nyah nyah he started it! :p<br><br>a less mature person would have left you guys over it. or hidden in their own little bubble community they created themselves (ahem ;) ) but hey, i'm still here.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
sorry - i didn't see this post until just now. here, let me humor you...

[quote author=jeepster link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=45#58796 date=1030009344]
Before we get too wacko here, I must ask this question of you grrl. A little background check if you will. These questions might help us determine your "skills" if you will to see just how nice a rig you need to see your quest to fruitation. Please dont take any offence to some of these qusetions, they are designed to ferret out your "skill" level. Ok here goes:
Do you own tools? (screwdriver,pliers,hammer dont count)
[/quote]
yes, a large drill and several bit sets. a wrench that could seriously do bodily damage.

if you do, can you pick up the box their in?
yes, i am strong - i let my partner ride piggy back on me and she's about 140 lbs.

Are you a "girly"grrl who freeks out if you
a) break a nail
b) get dirt under your nails
c) have nails longer than....well have nails ::) ;D
fuck no.

Have you ever changed a tire?
yes

jacked a car up? (own a jack,jack stands?)
yes

changed your oil?
yes with help

gotten oil running down your arm?
no, but wouldn't mind.

had something fall into your eyes while under the car changing your oil?
yes

do you look a tool catalogs?
yes, and i dropped a ton of money at the black and decker outlet store in seaside last year

has any vehicle youv'e owned ever drawn blood while working on it?
no, they have all been nice to me so far.

do you have any old shirts you dont mind wearing while working on your rig and then throwing away?
yes

Have you ever used "colorful" lanquage while working on your ride?
yes, but even more colorful when working on my computer

I could go on and on but, lets see where we stand here.

look, i think i'm mechanically inclined and i'm not a girly-girl and i'm physically strong. i may not be experienced, but i'm quite capable.

OP
OP
greasergrrl

greasergrrl

Loc.
Redmond, WA
[quote author=mark74ranger link=board=5;threadid=8025;start=45#58912 date=1030046204]
From Ggrl's response in the "Naked women in EB" thread I wouldn't think she would be offended. ;) Guess she just doesn't want to be the woman.
[/quote]

yep