• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Wiring Harness

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is almost that time...

Looking for input on a new wiring harness. I'm not trying to knock one vendor over another, just looking for input from those that have actually installed a full harness and your experience (vendor or non vendor).

I AM NOT AN ELECTRICION. In fact, I'm not much of a mechanic;D and electrical is far below what mechanical skills I do possess lol

So If you were in my shoes, and far too cheap to pay someone else to do it, which harness (complete) would you go with and why?

I do plan on replacing the ignition switch and upgrading the headlights so that is another consideration.

Spaggyroe

I have installed 2 Centech's and next spring / summer I'll be installing another. I like that each wire is individually labeled along it's entire length. I'd say that their instructions are mediocre though.

I've heard good things about the American Autowire harness but don't have any first hand experience to share.

Good luck with your project.

68Broncoz

Contributor
2nd the Centech if your bronco will be mostly stock wiring harness.

chuckyb

Contributor
I've recently installed the Centech and would also recommend if price is important and there are not many modifications and other accessories to the Bronco. I was reluctant to due this but happy that I did as I am more confident with safety and reliability as a result.
There are a couple of head scratchers on the instructions but every time i called Centech with a question, Jim, who I believe is the owner, picked up the phone and provided expert answers.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I cant say enough great things about the painless harness. The name says it all. I would not use any other.

ShoeSlinger

I have done Centech, Painless, Ron Francis and a generic kit. Painless is by far the easiest and has the most complete instructions. Quick and easy but $$.

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have fixed a bunch of centech that DIY with no electrical experience did.
installed all of them except American Wire.
All good and will work, cost is higher on some but that may help some.
Plan on 40 hours for time.

Vincen

I've installed one of the Centech harnesses in 2000 and 2 American Autowire harnesses. I was happy with both.

eric0o1

I've installed a lot of the Painless, I really like their stuff ;)

If you haven't already, go through the instruction manual. I wrote it with guys like you in mind. Guys with enough mechanical experience to know they can probably do it, but not enough experience to feel confident in doing so.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/10113.pdf

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I have fixed a bunch of centech that DIY with no electrical experience did.
installed all of them except American Wire.
All good and will work, cost is higher on some but that may help some.
Plan on 40 hours for time.

They are all good, in their own way...

Centech - finished, directions are weak until you have done one, Customer service has been good. Currently on Back order at most Vendors...

AAW - unfinished, good directions, Customer service has been great, You need to buy two GM type crimping tools (That they sell) to do GM based connectors, flexible as in addition circuits. Need to use Plastic Glove box.

Painless - unfinished, (so what that means you need to add in the cost for wire loom of some type), Ford based colors, expandable as many extra circuits with wire that you heed to find a home for if not used. Great customer service. Plastic glove box included.

Planning, Fit and finish are what is important, good connector crimping tools, soldering joints, good looming (Look at Tessa tape, two kinds). Use of Marine grade shrink tubing. Good routing of wires, protect from heat, damage. Planning... What do you need now, what might you be doing in the future. Better to do this just once.

Write yourself or your client some notes, so you can remember how things were done. Like if you repurpose an AAW specific circuit for electric steps, note that.

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I've got a question about Painless:

Years ago, I did one and it was full of inline fuses in addition to the fuse block. Some of the inline fuses were hidden under-dash and some in the motor compartment. Additionally, some were mini-blade and some were regular-blade.

Do the Painless harnesses still have inline fuses?

eric0o1

904Bronco: a plastic molded glove box with the hole for the fuse block we use is included with the Painless harness.

Johnnyb:
There are no inline fuses, but there is a small (3) fuse mini fuse block for circuits tied to the ACC side of the ignition switch.This is located right next to the main fuse block. The main fuse block in the glove box only has battery power and switched ignition circuits. All fuses are the mini blade style. Both fuse blocks can be seen in this photo. Next to these fuse blocks is the horn relay, hazard & turn flashers.
10113.jpg

Spaggyroe

I have done Centech, Painless, Ron Francis and a generic kit. Painless is by far the easiest and has the most complete instructions. Quick and easy but $$.

Genuinely curious as to what makes the Painless kit the easiest. I haven't bought a harness for the Bronco I'll be wiring next spring. I'd like to hear your input on the Painless before making that decision.

Thanks @ShoeSlinger

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
904Bronco: a plastic molded glove box with the hole for the fuse block we use is included with the Painless harness.

Johnnyb:
There are no inline fuses, but there is a small (3) fuse mini fuse block for circuits tied to the ACC side of the ignition switch.This is located right next to the main fuse block. The main fuse block in the glove box only has battery power and switched ignition circuits. All fuses are the mini blade style. Both fuse blocks can be seen in this photo. Next to these fuse blocks is the horn relay, hazard & turn flashers.

Thank you Eric, I did not realize that you supplied the Glovebox with the kit now.

OP
OP
JeepGuy

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll probably end up going Painless. I had one of those installed in the Jeep over 20 years ago and the wires are starting to get a bit brittle. I think they have upgraded what they are using now. Helped a buddy install a painless in his K5 and it seemed way better than what I had installed before. It looked like they upgraded a few things between then and now.

Having the option through WH on a Bronco specific designed set up seems like the smart choice for me. Maybe not the cheapest, but will probably save me a bit of a headache along the way.

chris-nc

Contributor
Bronco Apprentice
With each thread that gets posted, I learn a little more about the various offerings. One question I have now that I've completely removed my old stock harness, is do any of the current offerings utilize the firewall cut-outs from where the two rectangular plugs were mounted behind the stock fuse block? I'm getting ready to install the insulation kit and don't yet have the new harness, so I'm not sure I should patch that up or not.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
With each thread that gets posted, I learn a little more about the various offerings. One question I have now that I've completely removed my old stock harness, is do any of the current offerings utilize the firewall cut-outs from where the two rectangular plugs were mounted behind the stock fuse block? I'm getting ready to install the insulation kit and don't yet have the new harness, so I'm not sure I should patch that up or not.

I have not seen a kit that reuses those two rectangular holes... ?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
None of them use those holes as originally designed.
Due to the original discussion here on the forum when Eric was originally designing the layout, the Painless kit does include a small aluminum plate that's used to cover and seal the two, now unused holes, to keep the weather out.
I can't remember for sure, but it might include a round hole in it to run a bundle of wires through. But you can find that info in the instructions.

Otherwise all the harnesses are designed more around the '71 and later models that had eliminated those and ran bundles of harness through large grommets in each corner instead.

Paul