• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco wont turn off

swimsy

Loc.
Menifee
I got home turned my key to the off position and took the key out and nothing happened, the bronco stayed on. I tried repeatedly turning it on and off, and it would not turn off. Is this simply the ignition cylinder gone bad or could it be worse. Any help to a non mechanic would be appreciated

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
This seems to be happening a lot lately. Here's what I did in order.

Replaced lock cylinder--No difference ?:?
Replaced starter solenoid--no difference (All wires in the right place I believe) ?:?
Replaced ignition switch in the dash--No difference ?:?
Pulled starter and had it checked--Checked fine ?:?
Jiggled the voltage regulator plug--Fixed it--for about a day :p
Replaced voltage regulator--Fixed it-- for about a week until about 2 hours ago it did it again. :mad:

From what others have told me, the only thing left is a new wiring harness. :mad:

Anyone else care to chime in. I'l be watching this post as well...

OP
OP
S

swimsy

Loc.
Menifee
mustangmarty you are making me nervous, I thought that this was simply a bad ignition cylinder and would be a quick and easy fix. I will be replacing that tomorrow and I hope it will solve my problems.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Hopefully you get lucky and fix it right off. Let us know what happens. Mine is running fine again today. All I did was unplug the voltage regulator and plugged it back in. I don't see how a voltage regulator could have anything to do with it, but I'm going to oarts store for bottle of contact cleaner to clean out the plug contacts anyway. Can't hurt.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
This seems to be happening a lot lately. Here's what I did in order.

Replaced lock cylinder--No difference ?:?
Replaced starter solenoid--no difference (All wires in the right place I believe) ?:?
Replaced ignition switch in the dash--No difference ?:?
Pulled starter and had it checked--Checked fine ?:?
Jiggled the voltage regulator plug--Fixed it--for about a day :p
Replaced voltage regulator--Fixed it-- for about a week until about 2 hours ago it did it again. :mad:

From what others have told me, the only thing left is a new wiring harness. :mad:

Anyone else care to chime in. I'l be watching this post as well...

After all that, it turned out to be a defective solenoid that I got from the parts store. :mad: How did yours turn out Swimsy?

grant_71

Bronco Guru
Heh, most of us have problems with the truck not turning ON.

Had the same problem with a Bronco II a few years, back, was the solenoid.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
The bronco just wants to go more;D Probably the solenoid also