• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncodesign Tub #21 Build - Bare Frame Work

Casey835

I am so disgusted with my steel tub and the money and time I have spent on it. I definately wished I had gotten one of these, with uncut rear Qs and all. Maybe there is one in my future!

72_EB

66to77
Looking good, K man! I'd love to get up there soon and lend a hand. I know you're itching to get that beast up and running. See you at the wedding this weekend. :)

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
Get some eye protection and ear protection for them workers.

The boys had the proper PPE, but took everything off. I will be more diligent about ensuring they are working safe.

I've been busy on more pressing projects, but will spend more time on the project this week.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Get some eye protection and ear protection for them workers.
Look out, here comes the Safety Man Rev!

Safety Glasses, Face shield, hearing protection, Gloves AND RESPIRATORY Protection!

Any why work that high, flip the frame over on some saw horses, Being high like that does have the risk of falling due to failure of the bracing and with the vibrations of working on it.

Other than that Keep up the good work!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
We worked on a good frame I have today.
- Frame VIN was cross-referenced to title and glove box.
- Front and rear shock mounts ground off.
- A few factory booger welds were re-welded and cleaned up.
- The frame was mounted to an adjustable (height) frame dolly. We can raise the height to more easily access the frame bottom. I will be bolting on pneumatic casters to make it easier to roll around outside.
- The frame was sandblasted and POR 15 was applied.

- Initially, the frame was painted silver. I changed my mind, so it will be painted Rustoleum hammered black. Here, we are scuffing the silver paint

Nice little set up there Kurt.. :)

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
You know what they say, Once you go glass.....
What do they say?

;D

Look out, here comes the Safety Man Rev!

Safety Glasses, Face shield, hearing protection, Gloves AND RESPIRATORY Protection!

Any why work that high, flip the frame over on some saw horses, Being high like that does have the risk of falling due to failure of the bracing and with the vibrations of working on it.

Other than that Keep up the good work!

I realized it was not adequate, so the frame came down.....:p;D

Nice little set up there Kurt.. :)

Thanks.... But, the adjustable-height frame works better for painting in one set-up. It is not very ergonomic for stripping.....

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
I indirectly worked on the project on New Year's eve. My friend Matt wanted a set of inner beadlock rings modified. First, the mounting holes were drilled and reamed to fit the steel nutserts he plans on using.

Then I made a special fixture plate out of cast ATP-5 Aluminum. This Aluminum works well for fixturing, as it is flat, and is ok for conventional cut tap threads.

beadlock1_zps759ba589.jpg

beadlock2_zps02f5bd35.jpg

Using shoulder bolts worked well for securing 2 1/4" beadlock rings. My son forgot his steel-toe boots, so you can see the yellow safety slip-ons I made him wear. We call them "duckies";D

beadlock3_zps45baa76c.jpg

The 90's Fadal CNC mill works well for projects like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
Matt owns AFA Services Lake Villa, IL. He specializes in differential work, and manual transmission work. Also, he does welding and fabrication.

Later this week, I will be hauling a few things down for him to inspect and rebuild as necessary.

- Toploader 4 speed

- Dans 20 x-fer case

- 9" 3rd member with 3.50 gearing and stock limitied slip. ( I plan on using a '74 9" housing so I can run the Exploder rear discs and parking brakes. )

- I am considering using a Dana 44 with a trac loc, along with F150 knuckles.

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
My son and I removed the 3rd member & front trac loc unit, steam cleaned them, and hauled them to Matt. Along with that, we dug out the toploader transmission and x-fer case. We noticed the transmission was missing the small external shift plates that attach to the shift rods, so I will be making a new set this week.

Today, we finished removing the front axle housing from what was left of the donor frame. I think it is going to take a few days for the garage to air out from the original 90-weight oil. :p

Right now, I am rounding up other small driveline pieces to sandblast and prime this week.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Kurt, congrats on getting the hood! Looks like a really nice design and lloking forward to the buildup with it!

OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
We are still making some progress on the project, but it has definitely slowed. I have a '70 from Montana that had been sitting for 16 years, so we decided to mechanically overhaul it and drive it while we were building #21.

The '70 is at a friend's shop in N. Illinois, and let's just say the further we looked at the sheet metal condition, the easier the choice was to make it an off the frame resto...%);D

941727_258631737615475_1185250516_n.jpg

Now that School is out and I am teaching less this Summer, all 3 of my Bronco projects are getting attention. My older son and I are prepping the trail rig for our vacation later this Summer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kurt

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
Back on #21....
We sandblasted the frame, cleaned up the factory
welds, and I reblasted the frame yesterday.

Attachments

• 21_blast.jpg
    21_blast.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 43