• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Building a Bronco From Scratch, Need Help

ddrass

Ok, I'm building a Bronco from scratch. New frame from Matkins, new body from Terra, etc. I have NO advanced mechanical training, so most of the tricky stuff's going to get farmed-out (engine, front and rear, etc., body pep and paint). My question is this: I want to build the rolling chasis myself, that is, suspension, front and rear installed, power steering (anything else I'm missing?). How hard is this going to be? What am I going to need tool-wise? I think it won't be that complicated, as the front and rear ends will come complete in "bolt-on" form, and the suspension (stock height - no lift) and steering are kits. Am I naive? Is this stage going to be harder than it looks? Thanks!

brian72

Early Bronco Student
No you will be good to go. not too hard. Good luck - take lots of pics.

OP
OP
D

ddrass

brian72 said:
No you will be good to go. not too hard. Good luck - take lots of pics.

There will be many, many pics, I promise! Nice AV!

Panama71

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Sweet!!

I must admit I was trying to calculate what it would cost to build a Bronco from scratch one day. I would be VERY interested in seeing pictures.

BTW when i was looking at what this would take (using no used parts), the one thing I couldn't find was a dash. However in the BCB header thread he showed a new replacement dash that may take care of that problem.

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

ddrass

Panama71 said:
Sweet!!

I must admit I was trying to calculate what it would cost to build a Bronco from scratch one day. I would be VERY interested in seeing pictures.

BTW when i was looking at what this would take (using no used parts), the one thing I couldn't find was a dash. However in the BCB header thread he showed a new replacement dash that may take care of that problem.

Good luck!

I'm running an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of costs. When its done, I'll give you a copy. Mind you, labor is going to be expensive. I'm only assembling the chasis and powertrain; pretty much everything else is getting farmed-out. So far, I'm looking at about 30k in parts. I'm sure it can be done much cheaper, particularly if you found a decent donor at a good price. But this is going to be my dream EB and a daily driver, so I'm trying to get as many quality parts (non-refab) as I can afford.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
ddrass said:
I'm running an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of costs. When its done, I'll give you a copy. Mind you, labor is going to be expensive. I'm only assembling the chasis and powertrain; pretty much everything else is getting farmed-out. So far, I'm looking at about 30k in parts. I'm sure it can be done much cheaper, particularly if you found a decent donor at a good price. But this is going to be my dream EB and a daily driver, so I'm trying to get as many quality parts (non-refab) as I can afford.
Guess the cost time!!!
Pencil me in for 75k if you use all new parts and no donor vehicle. With the labor you have listed farmed out. You really might want to find a crappy donor of all the small parts. They add up quick!

Bronco7672

Loc.
Richmond, VA
gert yourself a donor vehicle for parts like dash, pedals, gauges, headlight bezels, clutch linkage, gass tank, engine pulleys and brackets etc etc etc then get it all powder coated, it will all look better than new and you will save a few grand

wheelin66bronco

Loc.
State of Jefferson
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but 30k in parts is way underestimating.

I have 30k in parts EASY. I kep all reciepts up until 25k and stopped counting.
That was before the dana 60's, the Krawlers, the SEFI, the Atlas, and on and on and on.

Buckshot

Loc.
BC, Canada
not ment to hijack but, if you used all new parts as your suggesting, frame and all, how would you get this thing registered and insured? would you be issued a vin for it?

Panama71

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Well, the easy answer is to just get the glovebox door and title from a parts EB, otherwise you would have to register it as a kit car most likely. as I understand it, that can be a drag...would be interesting to have the title for a 2005 Bronco though.

jate

Loc.
Salt Lake City
wheelin66bronco said:
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but 30k in parts is way underestimating.

I have 30k in parts EASY. I kep all reciepts up until 25k and stopped counting.
That was before the dana 60's, the Krawlers, the SEFI, the Atlas, and on and on and on.

I agree, $30k will not cut it. I know, I am building one with almost every part new except for the frame. Just the big things will quickly add up and when you throw labor into the mix you can count on A LOT more. Using used parts will save you some. Here are some of they costs I incured to give you an idea and this doesn't include cost of labor or a new frame - +/-$2000 including shipping.

Terra Comp Fiberglass body - $4,200 including shipping.
Paint and rhino line $3,000
Engine $3,8000 (Stroked 351w to a 393)
Transmission - 4r70W $1,000
Atlas transfer case $2300
SEFI - $1,000
Headers coated - $400
Axles - Complete Ford 9" with decent axles and detr - $1200 per axle $2,400 total
Disc brakes complete (alll wheels) - $1200
Cage - $1000
Seats and mounts - $1000
Wheels and tires - $2000 (5 BFG 35"x15x12.50)
Wiring - $400
Gauges and dash - $700
Fuel tank $400
Tailgate, Windshield frame - $800
Soft top and doors - $700
Stereo - $400
Tuffy Box - $250
Drivelines and CTM ujoints - $800
Aluminum radiator $500
Power steering - $400
Alternator - $200
Proto fab bumpers $1000 including shipping
Winch - $600
4 link suspension - $2500

Good luck with your project! Let us know how it goes.

Lumpy

$30k is definately a conservative estimate there. I've spent huge coin on my EB getting it up to standards and when I think of it I almost get sick,...but it was worth it. For the small stuff try contacting B&W antique auto parts. They've had everything I've ever needed so far and they might have a dash for you. Good luck with your build and be sure to post the pics of your progress.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I'm curious how this goes and what it totals out to be. I've been going the "skimpy budget" route. I started in 92 with a 73 sport and along the way I've also had a 72 (wagon), 74 (skimpy parts truck), 75 Northland Special, 66 half cab, 76 (roadster), and a 70 half cab.

I've kept some parts from all the above and I'm down to the 76 and the 70. Prior to buying the 70, I bought another frame to swap the 76 running gear (76 frame is toast) into. I'm currently getting the frame together and working on the body of the 70. I know I'd have loved to have started with a Matkins frame.

John

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I think $30K is doable (for me) as I would build all my axles and not farm out as much stuff. I would farm out the rebuild of the ZF and the lower end of a motor, but all the other stuff, I could do myself. In that previous list there are some high #'s on some of the stuff listed, and some low ##s. It may even out.
I'm very interested in your buildup. Please keep a thread going.
Good luck, and let me know how the glass body is!!!

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
jate said:
Engine $3,8000 (Stroked 351w to a 393)

Wow almost 40K for the engine.. That really blew your budget.. Sorry I had to do it.. ;D

Keep us posted on these build ups.. I can only dream because I am having to build mine on a shoe string budget.. :-[

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I think the killer, and what will blow your budget, is going to be labor.
I basically built one with new parts, all except for the dash, which I heavily modified. I did re-use my fiberglass body and windshield. I also reused my "old" Alcoas.

I had the chassis, cage and rears custom fabricated. I had to have the gears set up, but I assembled the parts. Transmission (AOD)was assembled by the local guru. Shortblock was cheaper to have assembled (I have built plenty of engines, was in a hurry) so I let them do it. I put the long block together and fitted the rest of the parts. Exhaust was custom, that is a large expense.

You should be able to design and run your own fluid lines. That would include bending and double flaring brake lines (but get guidance if you've never done). Braided lines are killer, about $1000+ for all, but that would include AN fittings and ends.

I would do the wiring using an aftermarket kit. I used Painless. By the time I bought all the connectors (I used Weatherpack throughout) I probably ended up with about $700 in that.

Bottom line, I ended up with over $55k in mine, and not painted yet. I have a good amount in the engine. But I can see where you could get by with less. Depends on what's important to you and how you plan to use it.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
For a lot of you that are saying he is way outta line on budget, you are including things that dont go into a stock height daily driver..

he doesnt need:

d60's
4 link
SEFI
detroits
CTMs
1000 in seats
1000 in bumpers
Krawlers
Atlas
etc
etc

I would, however, look at the option for a complete steel body (I think it comes from Jeffs) instead of fiberglass.

And I do agree that labor is going to be expensive.. but if you have the drivetrain assembled.. it is an easy bolt in.. just rent a hoist. Most things are easy enough to do yourself, especially if you have the body off.

Good luck.