• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Built your own tow bar?

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yeah, but what about the tabs connecting the tube to the spring hanger? I believe you would have been better off with a chain running through a heavy pipe to keep the distance apart from both trucks. Besides, I've never seen anyone flatten a pipe with a hammer...maybe fence post-not pipe,Chuck

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
yeah, but what about the tabs connecting the tube to the spring hanger? I believe you would have been better off with a chain running through a heavy pipe to keep the distance apart from both trucks. Besides, I've never seen anyone flatten a pipe with a hammer...maybe fence post-not pipe,Chuck

The pipe didnt bother me at all.
I WAS skeptical of the weld quality of the tabs.

I tried to break the welds and couldnt, so apparently the booger welds are stronger than it looks.

Would have been alot better to flatten the pipe at 90* on the other end, so it wouldnt need tabs at all.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I made my towbar from 2"x2" square tube and a channel coupler (hitch) from a local trailer place that's made for 2" tube. I have a brush guard welded on the front bumper of my bronco so I just drilled holes in the uprights of that, and slotted the ends of the 2x2 on boths sides to go around the uprights, and put bolts through with saftey pins to keep the loose nuts from backing off. Used it many times with no issues. Even almost broke a htich off a tractor once while moving the bronco with the towbar with flat tires but the towbar held strong.

If I had to do it on a bronco with a stock bumper, I'd weld up some tabs to bolt around the bumper using the existing bolt holes in the frame.

texastreasures

Towbar

An old timer friend of mine built his own for his 68 heres a pic for some ideas.

Attachments

• myspace more ronnie 019.jpg
    myspace more ronnie 019.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 16
  • myspace more ronnie 018.jpg
    myspace more ronnie 018.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 22