• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Burned Bronco

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an acquaintance who has lost his collection of antique race motorcycles in the Camp Fire. In addition he has '66 U14 which sustained significant damage. I have not yet seen it. He does not want to rebuild it. I'd like to check it out and make him an offer on it if it appears to be rebuildable. I assume the bottom line is the condition of the frame. If the frame appears sound, what would be a fair price to offer? Thank you! Mark

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Title? Did it burn up too?
If the body is warped, which is likely in a fire, plan on replacing it along with mechanical parts.

Without knowing the condition we cannot estimate value.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Title is good. From the owner's description the body is beyond salvage. Thus the question of the frame. Obviously most everything else can be replaced. I have all the '66 parts to complete a restoration. However, I agree, it's hard to estimate without seeing it in person. I'm going to try to do that this week sometime.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
So you're just trying to get a '66 frame with title .
I guess it depends on your plans , intent , motivation . I used to run in to that with the " car " guys . I found a Mustang "K" car that had the engine and tranny swapped and they wanted twice the money for it because of the K code .
To each his own but for me [ I'm not a collector - I'm a driver } if all I was getting was a frame that went through a fire and wanted to do a ' total " build I'd buy a new frame -

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Just outta curiosity Mark,what kink of bikes were they? MX? Road? Board racers?

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The bikes were road racers. From the 1920s to 70s. I don't recall the details but I've seen them at a local show a couple of times. Huge loss.

So, yes, frame, title and whatever I can salvage from the rest. What I want to do with it has little bearing on what the value is. I'd just like to offer the man a fair price.

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
All depends, Pics would definitely help... Good luck

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, pics will definitely help I'll work on getting those ASAP.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would pass on it. That much heat does bad things. If it is going to be like I think it is, look at the leaf springs. They will be bowed at the eyes. Steel had to get really soft for that to bend like that. And all that it took was the weight of the truck. Not full weight, just half of one corner weight. And that leaf spring is a lot tougher then the frame rails.

Pictures will tell the truth, but I am expecting a chared shell. That might make an AZ legal smog exempt buggy and that is about it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, make sure to find out about any changes in status
(Ie. salvage title) after his insurance deals with it.
With any luck there will be something left.
Too bad.
Good luck

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it was in a lot of heat, chances are the frame is warped. A Bronco frame will warp with welding heat.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, a couple of good thoughts there, especially with the title after insurance claim. And yes, any sagging of springs would likely mean warped frame. Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep you posted.

bam

Contributor
Loc.
Laurel, Ms
I have a 66 frame I might be willing to part with. the shipping from here to there might be to much.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll throw this out there. I don't need another Bronco project! I have 4 more in the barn waiting restoration. However, if this one could be salvaged it would be kind of a meaningful thing. Our neighbor Town of Paradise was destroyed in the Camp Fire. There are many who are adamant about rebuilding the town better than it was before. Rebuilding this Bronco if possible would be sort of a meaningful thing to me at least and maybe to friends, relatives, colleagues and patients who lost everything in the fire yet want to rebuild and return. My touchy feely thought for the new year....

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I say go for it. Probably wouldn't be driven much anyway right?

Unless the frame is just absolutely to far gone.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Kind of my thought. Solid frame is the important part. And clear title.