• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Burnt c-4 ?

maws75

Four wheeling this last weekend and my c-4 got a little hot, it started dripping fluid out the front of the tranny and started slipping so bad I could`nt go any where, let it cool down for a hour or so and headed home.,it worked fine on the way home(about a hour drive thru a mountain
pass). So does anyone have any ideas ,should I just have the tranny flushed and add a bigger cooler or rebuild the tranny?

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Yes you can just flush it and it should be ok...but you have shortened the overall life of the tranny by accident. The slipping causes massive glassing or polishing of the clutch packs which cause it to not grab as good. In this picture on the brown clutch you can see a dark ring on the inner side of the disk. This is from a previous overheating, but the vehicle has been running for 70,000 miles like that. As you can see though its a 20% loss in clutch, but the brown shows the true contact area. In the metal disk there is enough scratches to cause concern from debris entering the tranny from submersion or lack of tranny fluid flush/drain. Does the vehicle act differently on idleing shifting and starting?

Attachments

• me 003.jpg
    me 003.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maws75

No it seems to shift ok and it takes right off from idle, I can`t feel any slipping now.

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
you should be ok then, but everytime you do overheat a tranny you do lose some life. Ive seen guys overheat there tranny sooo many times on a outer drive on beach where I live . There trucks are still running fine. Goodluck.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Four wheeling this last weekend and my c-4 got a little hot, it started dripping fluid out the front of the tranny and started slipping so bad I could`nt go any where, let it cool down for a hour or so and headed home.,it worked fine on the way home(about a hour drive thru a mountain
pass). So does anyone have any ideas ,should I just have the tranny flushed and add a bigger cooler or rebuild the tranny?

Drain the trans and TC. Check the pan for debris, if its excessive and has a lot of metal shavings then rebuild it. if its fairly clean with little or no metal then give it new fluid and filter and drive it. Putting a magnet in the pan helps as well.

A bigger cooler will help if you have managed to overheat it with the cooler you are now running.

I am still concerned about the fluid dripping out the front. Is it still leaking from that location? ~BH~

OP
OP
M

maws75

No its not leaking anymore it onlydid it while it was hot,its been in the garage since I got back and i`ve started up and let it run still no leak. Seems like it`s only when i`m on a incline( nose up ) and it`s hot,thanks you guys for the advice I think I`ll have it flushed and take a look in the pan.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
No its not leaking anymore it onlydid it while it was hot,its been in the garage since I got back and i`ve started up and let it run still no leak. Seems like it`s only when i`m on a incline( nose up ) and it`s hot,thanks you guys for the advice I think I`ll have it flushed and take a look in the pan.

Let us know what you found and how it turns out. :cool:

ebroncoman

Loc.
Denver
I've had my old (rebuilt) C4 hot enought to spew a little fluid from the breather on the top of the intermed. housing. No ill effects after I allowed it to cool down. I did add a 2nd tranny cooler with a dedicated fan afterwards and it never got above 200 deg. -E