• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bushwacker pocket Flares?

BRONCOBERT

Has anyone installed or seen the Bushwacker pocket style flares on the Bronco.
I read something about them being 5 inches wider? :eek:
When I look them up through my supplier they show a picture of a Jeep not a Bronco, does not inspire confidence

Last edited by a moderator:

Rof150

Loc.
Converse, Texas
Google tomb raider fender flares for early bronco, it's someone out of California that sells them off of craigslist

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

Ok so those are not the Bushwacker flares. Do they have a pocket style flare?
They list 3 types of flares for the Bronco and for the wide version they show a picture of pocket flares, just not on a Bronco.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
IMG_20140701_162827_465_zpsb5e29149.jpg

I contacted bushwhacker a few times about getting them to produce some for early broncs. They didn't feel there was enough demand to produce them. To my knowledge, they still don't. They said if the did they would notify me(yeah right). They are content with what they make.

My flares I got from a fellow member that had them. He was cut too much for them to work. They are the ones from the craigslist link above. Those are the only pocket flares I know of. I upgraded to better welting and bolts, ironically from bushwhacker. Made for a great blend. Each flare I have attached with four or five bolts instead of the cheesy sheetmetal screws that came with them. Doing it this way also makes it easy to remove them for wheeling. Mine being a 77 with fuel doors required some ingenuity dealing with the fuel doors. However, it worked out for me. I LOVE the look of them. The only thing I'd like better would be smooth, no texture.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet they'd be more popular than they think. They'd also have to be fully convinced of that though, since tooling up to make a new flare is expensive enough these days that they don't take lightly to it if it can be avoided.
From my memory of it, tooling up a new product takes from about $14k to over $40k and they'd have to be convinced that they'd make that back and show a profit at some point.
A hard sell with a vehicle that hasn't been made in 37 years. Even though they could minimize initial costs by using the info they have for their existing flares and just make a new profile. Easier than a new vehicle, but generally less profitable too.
With modern R&D computer equipment these days, maybe that price has come down somewhat? At least after the bazillion dollar equipment is paid off? Always some good excuse not to... %)

It took them literally years to decide to offer the second type of rear flare (larger opening) so that EB owners could retrofit to fenders that had already been cut for the larger brands back in the day.
And that was even though EB flares would often pop into the top-ten sales numbers list for sales volume.
I used to get the impression they didn't really believe their own numbers!

Paul

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

That is strange because Bushwacker was on another forum trying to convince Ford Raptor owners that they needed a flare when the Raptor comes stock with it's own signature flare and looks very weird with the pocket flare.
They were saying that they would design and produce a flare for the Raptor if there was an interest for it. The overwhelming response was no thanks.

OP
OP
BRONCOBERT

BRONCOBERT

Ok, I understand what the 5 inch additional is now.
This is a picture that was listed for the 5 inch additional opening, so I thought they were offering pocket flares now.
BUS-CutOut_Rear.jpg

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
The way I understand, its an individual making these. If an individual can tool up and build them, power to him. Too bad he's not pushing them on here. Or other vendors get with him so he doesn't have to screw with the marketing. Its a lot bigger market than southern cal....

Joe'Bronco

Loc.
Dublin, CA
So is this the only guy making this style of flare for the bronco? His price is a little steep or at least his shipping is outrageous ($400 with $100 shipping)

TAWL_BOY

Sponsor/Vendor
Loc.
Friendswood, TX
Have you priced pocket flares for a new pickup these days?

They're about that much.

To make 4 different flare mold for one vehicle, you're probably close to, if not more than, $100K

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
I'll be honest. I ordered the zombie flares from wild horses. I was completely unimpressed with them. Very flimsy and cheap feeling. I expected much more. I sent them back and ordered the bushwhacker flares from wild horses.

If you are expecting thick hard plastic, those zombie flares are not for you. After getting very close to finishing my frame off I couldn't fathom finishing it off with those.

Needless to say, you can gather I was under whelmed with the quality.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I'll be honest. I ordered the zombie flares from wild horses. I was completely unimpressed with them. Very flimsy and cheap feeling. I expected much more. I sent them back and ordered the bushwhacker flares from wild horses.

If you are expecting thick hard plastic, those zombie flares are not for you. After getting very close to finishing my frame off I couldn't fathom finishing it off with those.

Needless to say, you can gather I was under whelmed with the quality.

We appreciate the honest assessment. Everyone's opinion is valid. We feel like we put it out there that these are"show" flares and not intended for off road. We try to have what customers are asking for and most people who ordered the Zombies are happy and got what they were expecting. Glad to hear we were able to provide what you were looking for in the Bushwhacker. We added the Bushwhackes to the line up also because we were being ask for them. Our personal favorites are the Gorillas.;D