• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Buying a Bronco registered and titled in Mexico, and registering it in CA.

fctryseald

Going to look at and possibly purchase an EB that currently resides in the U.S. but at a border town with Mexico. It is currently titled and registered in Mexico, but was once registered and titled in CA. Has anyone ever purchased an EB from another country and then registered it here? It's a '72, so I won't need to worry about emissions here in CA. Just not sure if there is anything else I might need to think about. Thanks for any advice.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I suggest you contact your local DMV and get the scoop 'Straight from the horses mouth'.

Seems to be lots of questions on here about titling Broncos in different states and lots of opinions about it. Easiest option for me would be what I initially said, that way there is no mis-information, etc.

Pops

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It should be doable. How doable is the questionable part. If sold in Mexico new you should still be able to import into the states as it is more than 25 years old. For the most part it is a question of having the correct paperwork. As stated above, contact your local DMV office and talk with them. How the rules are written, and how they are interpreted can vary. Do exactly what they ask and it should go fairly painless. Try to skip steps or cheat, it isn't going to come out good.

OsideDave

Since it was once registered in the US I wonder if it would be better to say it was non-op all these years and not mention the Mexico side... I am no expert and just throwing it out there for discussion

OP
OP
F

fctryseald

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to hold off on the purchase for now, and call Sacramento on Monday.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hi fctryseald,

Just curious if this is for the pre-runner that was listed a few weeks back.

Good luck. I think you're making the right choice waiting until you have the information you need to make a good decision.

Take Care,

Jeff

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I suggest you read up on the smog laws in California. 1975 and older Broncos are currently exempt to owners in California. Exempt from biannual inspection, not exempt from not having smog equipment on the truck or at title transfer. Don't be surprised if your out of state / or country Bronco has to visit the referee station and the CHP for Vin number and smog verification before you can be a registered owner and be exempt from biannual inspection.

YaleEB

I suggest you read up on the smog laws in California. 1975 and older Broncos are currently exempt to owners in California. Exempt from biannual inspection, not exempt from not having smog equipment on the truck or at title transfer. Don't be surprised if your out of state / or country Bronco has to visit the referee station and the CHP for Vin number and smog verification before you can be a registered owner and be exempt from biannual inspection.

I think this is probably very good advice. About 5 years ago, I was looking at a pre 1975 out of state vehicle thinking it would be smog exempt. I called DMV, and they told me any out of state vehicle, regardless of year, would be required to meet CA smog requirements to be registered/titled in CA. I don't know if that's accurate, but it did keep me from buying that out of state vehicle.

So I would be very careful and very thorough with DMV before buying this one.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Considering that for a lot of years one of the main destinations for stolen cars and trucks from the US has been Mexico you should expect that any vehicle that you bring back from there WILL be VERY closely inspected.

moses_m

Did it last year on a 72. Bought it in San Luis Sonora and registered in texas. If the owner lives in the US go to the dmv with him and you can transfer (carta de circulation) Mexican title right there with a notarized bill of sale. Get a 5 day permit from DMV and state what port of entry you are bringing it in from. It is easier to trailer across to avoid any insurance charges. To register and apply for a state title a customs agent will have to inspect vins. You will have to schedule a appointment for this. Most international port of entries have them or larger airports also have them. Very doable just takes time.