• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

buying electrical connectors

bobtail

Loc.
high in the desert
can anyone tell me where I can buy the connectors that fit on guage posts (fuel,oil,temp.). I already checked the junk yard. newer cars have different connections. checked jc whitney.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You talking about those little 90° push-on types?
They are sold at just about any auto parts store, but I've found they don't always fit very well either. Sometimes they're so tight they won't go on the stud. That may very well be because they weren't made for Ford stuff, but they "look" the same on the outside.
They're probably rated by stud size, but I'm not sure what sizes are offered.

I'm thinking Dorman/MotorMite, and a few other old-time suppliers, but not sure. I'd bet that at least some of them have dropped them from the lineup.
Most of the harness manufacturers simply use ring-terminals and nuts now.

What is wrong with your old ones? If they're just loose, in a pinch (no pun intended) you can squeeze them carefully with pliers to fit better. If they're rusty though, all bets are off.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, ok. Sorry I don't have anything new to add then. Same thing I've found with some.
Years ago, when there were more of them on the shelves, I remember finding the right size ones. But most were the smaller ones.

I wonder if an Ford dealer still has access to those things. Probably got rid of them long ago. Would love to find a dealer that had more shelf space than they knew what to do with, and kept all the old inventory and micro-fiche machines!

Good luck. Maybe someone's got some old ones laying around after a full re-wire job.
Maybe some of them will check out your thread and chime in with a save!

Paul

jmart52

Ive seen them at Mcfadden Dale in the 12 volt electric area. Ive never tested them out
though.