• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C Bushing Install

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Finally getting the front end put back in. First things first.. c-bushings. I have the 4 degree off-set bushings from WH that came with my 4" lift from WH.

I lubed everything up with soapy water and went for it... using a crisscross pattern to tighten the clamps.

What I did it had the front axle sitting in such a way on jack stands that both arm tips touched the ground.. and then I went for it.

No matter which way I do it one of the arms tips will settle in at around 1/4" off the ground while the other touches... I'll loosen up again.. and re-tigthen.. always same result. Trying to avoid any lean. Is there an acceptable amount of error with these bushings? I would hate to get it all together and have it leaning. I also have adjustable track bar to pull it into center once I get this all done.

Thoughts?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m going with as long as the arms are equidistant from the ground, you’re good to go. With that being said, I’ve been wrong more than once…and that’s just counting today. Lol

Randy

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
They arent equal. One is touching and other is 1/4" off the ground.
Yep, you have discovered one root cause of “Bronco lean.”

You can stand on the arm and push it towards the ground. It will deflect 1/4 inch with your body weight. That is how much lean you will introduce if and you install it.

I would guess that 1/4 inch is about 75 lbs at the radius arm end.

How to fix it? Rubber instead of urethane bushings, and possibly a different set of bushings. I actually had to move a set of wedges on my housing to get them perfect once. But I didn’t want any lean.

It acts. Lot like a sway bar. Imagine if one sway bar link was 1/4 inch shorter than the other.

omureebe

I've done C-bushings twice, leaning on an arm to get it as close as possible. Probably 1/8" difference is as close as I could get it but once I had it together there was no lean. Never saw a tolerance that led to no-lean vs lean.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The worst part about all this is if, after you’ve fought the good fight, get it all together to your satisfaction, get it back on the road and have an alignment done, and find out you still have 0° of caster!

What year is your bronco Jeremy? Do you know what the caster was before you took it apart?
The problem is nobody really knows until it gets measured. If you know then you’re ahead of the game.
C-bushing choice and installation is a big fat can-o-worms.

Good luck on getting that last quarter inch!

Paul

OP
OP
J

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Paul,

Its a 73.

Best part about the 1/4" is now I believe my jack stands arent level..... So maybe I am perfect and the front is just at a wierd angle (front axle is sitting on jack stands right now).. but... cant find my level

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Paul's post made me LMAO!! caster!!

4* c bushing with a 4" lift? might wanna try a 7* instead

OP
OP
J

jeremywatco

Loc.
San Diego, CA
Paul's post made me LMAO!! caster!!

4* c bushing with a 4" lift? might wanna try a 7* instead
That was an incorrect post on my part. 2.5” lift from WH. Kit came with the 4 degrees.

Now I’ve decided to mount it back up. How in gods name do you get the arms back in their holes. Got to be a trick to make this part easy. Currently at least have the front bushing on and the threaded part in just enough to thread a nut to hold them. No where near able to get the back bushing on.

I have axle hanging with straps from the shock perch.

Any tips/tricks?

Thanks

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably the ubiquitous ratchet strap ploy?😉
If you’re already started in the frame brackets the strap can pull it up tight.
Not easy moving 200+ pounds of iron between an immobile bronco and an immovable axle. Unless you were thinking way ahead and put the jack stands on dollies?
Harbor freight to the rescue?😁