• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C bushing wedges

FOMOCO_1546

Contributor
Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
I'm cleaning up a d44 and when I removed the c bushings the metal wedges on the axles are galled. I scraped all the junk off the wedges and hit them with a wire wheel on my grinder. Looks better but not very smooth. Will this affect anything installing new poly c bushings? Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That’s very typical of that particular part on the vehicle. Looks like you did a great job cleaning it up!
I would say carry on.
While rust and scale does have an effect and can cause poly bushings to squeeze out farther than normal, what you have looks pretty good.
I’m not sure galled is the proper term here though? Spalling maybe? Or something else.
I forget what the metallurgical term is for the rusty scale buildup that is part of the manufacturing process.
Are they cast? I think it’s part of that process.
Luckily, we have metal allergy masters at work here on the forum. Someone will come up with the proper methodology and terminology.