• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Auto Trans Problem

freeride376

Loc.
North Ogden
Hello

I have a 1977 Bronco with a C4 Auto Transmission. When i put it in drive it acts like it is still in neutral. When i put it in 1st gear it will drive but it acts like it is slipping. It wont fully grab. I could gas it and it would rev but it would just barley go. I need some help. Does anyone have any ideas what i have to do?

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
did the problem start slowly or just jump on you? there are a few things that can cause the c4 to not recognize the gear selection. It could be as simple as the cable retension at the tranny coming loose to a problem with the balls in the valve body. You could have lost the o-ring seal in the servo or the material off the band. .........lots can go wrong. I build tons of c4s, c6s and power glides for racers around here.....give me a little more info and i can most likely get you pointed in the right direction.

OP
OP
freeride376

freeride376

Loc.
North Ogden
It came on very slowly. This problem started about 4 months ago. At first it would just take it a few seconds to go into gear after i put it in drive. It got worse and worse and now it wont even go into gear when i put it in drive. After i get it going in 1st gear I can shift up to 2nd and 3rd and after that it will go in drive just fine. What other info do you need? Keep in mind im not very tranny savy.

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
slow in this case will cost you less money.....It pretty much rules out the typical catostrophic failures and puts you on the typical issues like servo and clutch pack seals and debris in the valve body.........does it work better when warmed up?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How's the fluid level and condition? Does reverse work well?

lowpressure

Loc.
Shreveport, LA
after everything ive heard i would imagine that u would get away with a seal kit, some clutches, and a good flushing. If you have any buddies that know how to build trannies this one would take less than an hour to go through. If you have any other questions just message me.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Yes Viper wolf the fluid level is just fine and it will go into reverse just fine as well.

The forward clutch isn't working. Worn out clutches, bad piston seals, etc. I agree, it's time for a rebuild.