• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Capacity minus the torque conv.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I am going to change the pan on my C4. How much tranny fluid will I need if I don't drain the torque converter?

tcb1188

I am doing the same thing but need to know the right size bolts for the pan because I lost the ones that came with the kit. Does anybody know what size bolts they are?

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
The stock oil pan on the C4 (as with most stock oil pans) holds 4 Quarts. The torque converter holds about twice as much. Why won't you want to change out the fluid in the torque converter???? A 7/16" wrench will remove the drain plug.
I believe the bolts are 5/16" x either 1/2" or 3/4". Either length will work. Socket size is 1/2" and that's normally a 5/16" bolt size

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
tcb1188 said:
I am doing the same thing but need to know the right size bolts for the pan because I lost the ones that came with the kit. Does anybody know what size bolts they are?
If you are using the stock pan, the bolts are special washer-head style and can't be had from your typical hardware or auto parts store. Your best bet is to get them from another transmission. C-4, C-5, C-6, or FMX, these are all Ford Non-metric automatic transmissions that call for the same pan bolt. I think you need 13.

OP
OP
pinenuts

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I don't want to change out the fluid in the TC because It only has three hundred miles on it. I am just replacing a bent, leaky pan.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
GJBroncoMan said:
When I dropped the pan on mine a couple of weeks ago to change the filter it took almost 5 quarts to fill it back up.

It usually takes about 4 1/3 quarts, but the longer the pan stays off the more fluid drips out when the filter is removed.

Tempratue has a lot to do with it too. If you drain it while the trans is hot, you will get more fluid out of it than when it's cold.

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When dropping the pan and changing the filter, should the the torque convertor be drained also? If you drain the torque convertor is there any additional steps to take when refilling the tranny?

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When refilling the tranny after draining the torque convertor are there any special steps to take? Put in 4-5 quarts start it and put it in neutral and keep filling? Anyone? thank-you

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
kyle said:
When refilling the tranny after draining the torque convertor are there any special steps to take? Put in 4-5 quarts start it and put it in neutral and keep filling? Anyone? thank-you
If you drained the torque converter and the pan, you could refill it with as many as 8 1/2 quarts depending on how long it was alowed to drain. Let's say you remove the pan and drain plug on the TC and have the vehicle parked on an incline with the nose lower than the rear, then you go and have lunch while it's draining. Then it will hold about 8. If you removed the valve body, it will probably hold another pint.

With the vehicle on jack stands, put 4 qts. in then have 2 more qts. open and ready to pour with the funnel in place before you start it. After it's running dump the other 2 qts and run it through all the gears with the rear wheels off the ground, use the brakes to stop the wheels before changing directions or shifting it to park. Check the stick with vehicle level while idling in neutral or park. Add as necessary and repeat process.