• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 capacity?

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I am going to drop the pan on the C4 in my 76 to try and fix a leak. Looking at my old Chilton book, it is a little confusing. In the capacities section it says the C4 holds 22 pints (11 quarts) including the torque converter. In the transmission Removal and Installation section it says to refill with 5 quarts if the TC has been drained. Later in that section it says to refill the transmission with 3 quarts. I assume the 3 quart number is with the TC undrained. Anyone know what the right amount is when just replacing the fluid in the pan and not the TC?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ford says 11 quarts. That seems about right because I have a drain pan nearly full sitting under my bronco right now and it holds 15 max. I was going to measure what came out but haven't done it yet.

Yes, I drained the converter too.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you just pull the pan to change the oil & filter it will take 2 quarts. If you pull the valve body, it will continue to dribble and it will take more to refill. How much depends on how long it takes you to make your repair. I've never taken the plug out of the torque converter so I would have to refer to the manual for the total capacity.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
11 is about right. I just put mine back together with a bigger pan and a new torque converter. It took 13 quarts. Also my coolers and lines were dry. (new).