• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 In Park But Still Rolls Back And Forth

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
I have a fairly new (reman) C4 from CHECKERS Auto parts, never had any problems with it, untill now! My problem is when its in PARK it will still roll back and forth??? So whats up???

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does it roll like it's in neutral or just a few inches? Mine has always moved a few inches back & forth.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Adjust the linkage, put the transfer case in gear, if it still hits the pawl and stops then a few inches of backlash in the drivetrain is normal.

Now if you did really loose park then it's time to take it apart and look inside. It has been many years since I have been in one of those old 3 speeds, but look the mechanism over and see what isn't working. I think you can deal with most of the parking parts without actually having to gut the trans. Again been many years...

OP
OP
broncosport

broncosport

Loc.
Knob Noster MO
Its not backlash. It rolls like its in neutral. I've already adjusted the linkage to the extream in both directions but it still rolls! Its cable actuated (B&M Mega shifter), Anything else I can check/adjust??

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Make sure to check your shifter linkage in the truck. I run the Hurst cable operated and a nut that holds the cable to the shifter came loose on me (I could only tell once I had stopped and came back out to leave).

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Its not backlash. It rolls like its in neutral. I've already adjusted the linkage to the extream in both directions but it still rolls! Its cable actuated (B&M Mega shifter), Anything else I can check/adjust??

Like Broncobowsher said the only way to really see what is happening is perhaps pull the valve body, most C-4 park problems can be cured with removal of TC and VB, and a complete disassembly may not be required unless the tip of the pawl is broke off.