• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 issue?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
My c4 doesn’t seem to have Neutral….

Ididit auto column with column shift; c4 with unknown history

Installed a Lokar rod shifter per instructions and did best I could to adjust on no-running truck. Now it’s running and N is nonexistent. I can’t locate N between R and D using the shifter so I disconnected the driveshafts from the t-case and laid under it to shift the trans manually. No N anywhere.

Why would my c4 not have N? R and D, D2 and D1 all spin as expected. N is nowhere to be found.

Adding - engine off, moved trans linkage to N. Started engine and yoke is being driven.

Any ideas?

AzBroncoGuy

I had a similar experience after a 1" body lift. Trans wouldn't shift to park. I ended up extending the shift rod some. When I was trying to make sense of it I disconnected the shift rod and manually used the trans shifter to find PRND21. You might try this to see if the issue is the tranny or the shifter.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yoke spinning in neutral is normal. While the clutches are not locked up, there is enough parasitic drag in the clutch packs to spin a yoke that is not connected to anything. It will typically spin a whole rear axle that is on jackstands as well. This is also why it gets very difficult to shift between high and low range with the transmission in neutral as well. As the transfer case goes between ranges the transmission output shaft (transfer case input) will spin up. Now you can't get the transfer case into gear (high or low range) as smashing spinning gears into each other is rough.

With the driveshaft attached and on the brakes, blip the throttle in various neutral and drive positions. Does the engine load up like it is in gear? It is. Does the engine rev freely? transmission is in neutral.

Now there is another option. Does it feel like it is loaded up while in park? Can't rev. Reverse loads the engine but doesn't go backwards? Neutral and all forward gears are actually drivable? If so, let me know. That is a different problem I don't want to confuse people with right now.

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the ideas. I disconnected the driveshafts and operated the trans shifter manually. There’s a position for each gear, but what’s supposed to be N feels to be driven. Perhaps more than parasitic drag.

I’ll try to adjust the shifter rod next weekend before I assume the worst…. This thing has a paint date in early June so I need to lock these details!

IMG_1957.jpeg