• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 leaking around the bolts that..

Kalex

Contributor
Hi All,

Went for a ride while ago and noticed my shift points seemed weird and overall transmission was off. Went home and crawled underneath and there was ATF fluid puddled from the bolts that connect the transmission to the adapter for the dana 20. Leaks very slow, but over time it adds up. It appears just the bottom 2 bolts. I have certainly had my share of annoying leaks, drips, etc...but this is a new one to me. Should I remove the bolts and put some thread sealer on them or is this indicative of another problem? Any thoughts would be helpful. Added some fluid and it started to shift much more like normal, but I need to work on it tomorrow to fix the leaks.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I do my own work. This is one of the reasons.
The two times someone else has pulled my transfer case it leaked there when I got it back.
All I had to do was to tighten the four bolts fastening the tranny to the transfer case.
Those four bolts are difficult to tighten in place, but it can be done.
Check yours.

OP
OP
K

Kalex

Contributor
Thanks, I will check. This is a new occurrence and the work was done in 2006, but very little use since then. I like to do m own stuff, but transmissions are out of my comfort zone for sure.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There are 6 bolts attaching the C4 to the adapter and 6 bolts attaching the adapter to the transfer case. None of the first 6 bolts go into trans fluid. No need to seal those. If it leaks there you have a bad gasket.

The rear 6 do touch transfer case oil so those do need sealant. If you are getting trans fluid inside the transfer case it's time for a new input seal.

Also note the C4 vent is on top the front end of the adapter. If it vents fluid it's going to run down around the rear of the C4.

OP
OP
K

Kalex

Contributor
Thanks a lot Viper, I will do my best to inspect and see where my problem may be.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There are 6 bolts attaching the C4 to the adapter and 6 bolts attaching the adapter to the transfer case. None of the first 6 bolts go into trans fluid. No need to seal those. If it leaks there you have a bad gasket.

The rear 6 do touch transfer case oil so those do need sealant. If you are getting trans fluid inside the transfer case it's time for a new input seal.

Also note the C4 vent is on top the front end of the adapter. If it vents fluid it's going to run down around the rear of the C4.
If the vent pukes you will see it all over your tailgate after a freeway drive