• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 loosing power

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
So I got one for your guys, I took the Bronco out today for the first real test drive after getting the transmission built and I have a strange issue going on, the truck shifts fine but if I run it up to the high gear it seems like it does not want to shift out of it, when I stop and then try to go, it just crawls until it gets up to speed, now if I stop after getting up to the high gear and put it in reverse and run it backwards a little bit and then go forward again, it picks right up and I never loose power again until I feel if shift into high gear and then I have to drop it into reverse again. Does that sound like any symptoms any of you guys are familiar with? Other than that the thing ran like a champ, I put it thru some deep holes out in Holopaw and it swam right thru them.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Something in the valve body or governor isn't functioning. You'll have to take it back to the re-builder and have them make thing right.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Are you saying it isn't downshifting when coming to a stop? What happens if you downshift manually?

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Something in the valve body or governor isn't functioning. You'll have to take it back to the re-builder and have them make thing right.

The rebuilder would be me, it's a brand new valve body from Broader, and I personally rebuilt the governor I am certain that it is moving freely. I think I am going to pull the valve body and replace it with the one I personally rebuilt, but Broader's work is top notch so I would be surprised if it is the valve body, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Are you saying it isn't downshifting when coming to a stop? What happens if you downshift manually?

It seemed like it is not downshifting, the time I got it out I did so by putting it in reverse, but it also comes out if I shut the truck off, I need to test if it comes out if I just put it in park, but if I am just idling at a stop light it does not seems to downshift and crawls up to speed. I did drop it to first and try to get it to move but it still had no pickup, that is when I put it in reverse and then it had full power again. It is pretty hard shifting into the direct drive as well, but I know Broaders bodies have a pretty quick shift on them, but just trying to relay all the details.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I would try another valve body. Didn't you put some extra clutches in the direct drum?

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
which VB did you get from jay? I believe all he sells are full manuals? if so drive becomes third gear only at all times and you must manually select 1st or 2nd for downshifts.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
which VB did you get from jay? I believe all he sells are full manuals? if so drive becomes third gear only at all times and you must manually select 1st or 2nd for downshifts.

No I just got the auto, and it definitely upshifts in drive but it does not downshift, I am running a some extra fluid in it, just for the break-in, but I don't think that would affect it, I am thinking the Dana 20 is going to have to come off and take another look at the governor, it was stuck when I rebuilt it, but I had it rattling around in there pretty good before I reinstalled it. I do have a valve body that I know is good, so I am going to try that first, correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of the governor is it controls shifting both ways, correct? I seem to be finding a lot of articles on the web pointing to the governor for this problem. The only other oddity I had was that I did not have a modulator pin so I cut one out of stainless welding rod, I know it is the right length but I don't know if it is the right diameter, it may be a little thinner than the real deal. Thats the only thing out of the ordinary that I can think of with this rebuild. I am wondering if it's worth trying out one of those transmission lubes to see if it, unsticks something, before I start tearing it apart.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Governor helps control down shifts too.

Pin is probably ok. Might have the primary governor valve in backwards.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Governor helps control down shifts too.

Pin is probably ok. Might have the primary governor valve in backwards.

Possibly, I know I triple checked that thing because it was sticking when I pulled it, if the valve body does not cure it, I will pull the governor and check it out.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Any chance the kickdown lever is causing a problem (bound / bent / something rubbing on it)

DJs74

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
OK, so dragging this back up again, I just took the Bronco out for it's second maiden voyage after pulling the T-Case and going over the governor again, so it is without a doubt not the governor, I cleaned it and polished it until both pistons drop right in and rattle freely. So here is what I am thinking, Broader does a lot of Full Manual Valve bodies, I wonder what are the chances that I ended up with a full manual by chance. Does anyone know if there is a tell tale way to distinguish a full manual from a automatic. I have another valve body that I was going to rebuild and sell, but I am thinking that I am going to rebuild it and swap it in. The one I have it really acts like a full manual, the only difference is D starts out in first, but once it hit's 3 it stays there until I manually shift it to first.