• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

c4 rear leak

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
My c4 is leaking from the rear where the housing bolts to the d20. Is there any sort of tail shaft seal that goes on there or is there just the housing seal? The guy at Jeff's just now told me that the only thing holding the transmission fluid in was the intermediate housing seal.

Anyone know how those two fit together exactly?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
That part of the trans is fit together with a gasket and an o-ring. There is also a shaft seal that keeps trans and x-fer case fluids separate from each other. If this seal fails it can cause the atf to mix with gear oil and vice versa.
This seal doesnt usually cause a leak unless one of the two gearboxes gets overfilled as a result of the seal failure.
When the fluid gets too hot it can come out the breather, which is also in that area but on top of the intermediate housing. If you have one of those inspection mirrors sort of like dentists use, you can verify if its a breather leak or not.

My c4 is leaking from the rear where the housing bolts to the d20. Is there any sort of tail shaft seal that goes on there or is there just the housing seal? The guy at Jeff's just now told me that the only thing holding the transmission fluid in was the intermediate housing seal.

Anyone know how those two fit together exactly?

OP
OP
S

spixican07

Loc.
Houston
I ordered a replacement gasket for the area that was leaking (intermediate housing gasket). It was really thin and upon inspection the other gasket looked fine...all bolts tight, it wasn't torn or anything.

Had my mechanic make a gasket out of thicker gasket paper...worked for a day and now it leaks again. The face of the C4 and the intermediate housing both looked ok.

What are my options here?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There are three housings. The transmission, the adapter. and the transfer case. There is a gasket between the trans and the adapter that I have found leaking because of loose bolts.