• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 skips second

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
I have searched through every post about transmissions and have not seen a problem exactly like mine. As I accelerate my transmission only has first and third. Any help would be appreciated.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Your intermediate band is either out of adjustment or broken. Judging by past experience I would bet it's broken. To fix it right you need to remove the trans and pull the pump out to access the front band. If the trans has High miles you are better off rebuilding it at that point unless you are on a tight budget.

~BH

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Actually you are not the only one that has this problem. Mine does it very occasionally but only under light throttle. Usually happens when I am turning a corner under light throttle. If I get on it even slightly out of the hole, it shifts into second just fine. My trans only has about 3K on it. Kind of annoying, but it only does it every so often.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
74bronc said:
Actually you are not the only one that has this problem. Mine does it very occasionally but only under light throttle. Usually happens when I am turning a corner under light throttle. If I get on it even slightly out of the hole, it shifts into second just fine. My trans only has about 3K on it. Kind of annoying, but it only does it every so often.

Yours is a different problem.
It needs a modulator pressure increase. Check the posts on this thread...
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37129

~BH

Broncobowsher

Total hack
michael084 said:
I have searched through every post about transmissions and have not seen a problem exactly like mine. As I accelerate my transmission only has first and third. Any help would be appreciated.

Question for you. Does it stay in first and rev higher then it should before sifting to 3rd? if so then I think it is the band.

Or does it shift into 3rd when it should be shifting into 2nd? That I would guess to be a valve body problem. Maybe the 2-3 shift valve is hung in 3rd.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
michael084 said:
I think it is what Howie said unfortunately. It does rev high before shifting into third. Thanks for all the help guys.

What happens when you pull it into Manual 2nd? Does it drop to 2nd, or fall down to 1st and overrun when you let off the gas? If you have it in manual 2nd and pull away from a stop it should stay in 2nd the whole time. If it doesn't then there is more than likely a problem with the band. This should help you rule out what Broncobowsher suggested.

~BH

Bama John

Loc.
Huntsville Alabama
If the bands are out of adjustment and not broken do this per Ford shop manual. The intermediate band adjustment is located on the drivers side of the trans forward of the shift linkage,it has a lock nut and a square head,The reverse appears the same and is located on the rear pasengers side of the trans.The intermediate band is adjusted by breaking the lock nut loose and turning the square shaft into the trans using a torque wrench adjusted at 10ft lbs when it clicks then back the square shaft back out 1 3/4 turns then lock the lock nut down.On the reverse band you do the same but back it out exactly 3 full turns.it mentions replacing these lock nuts & using penetrating oil on the threads so the lock nut will move freely.I purchased the 5 volume set of Ford service manuals from e-bay for 65 dollars the best investment yet.I hope this helps someone.

OP
OP
M

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
I will try this adjustment before I commit to a rebuild. Looking at the other posts it seems that to build your c4 strong you are looking at about $500 in parts plus labor. My mechanic charges $50.00 an hour and I don't know how much labor is involved in a rebuild. I had to go by advanced auto parts today and noticed they sell remanufactured transmissions. They gave me a quote of $479 plus a core charge. This comes with a 15 month warranty, and you can buy an extended warranty for I don't know how much more. This is pretty tempting to me even though I know it will not have the best parts in it. I am am on an extremely limited budget while I go to school full time. I can drop and install the c4 I just don't have the time or the experience to rebuild it. I figure if I put the magnet in the pan and used the cooler Howie recomends I could get a decent lifespan out of the store bought tranny. What do you guys think?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Absolutely do not let go of your Bronco Tranny. A C-4 is not just a C-4 and the Broncos is very different than most. If your tranny doesnt pass tests then pull your tranny and take it to a good shop to be rebuilt. I cannot over emphasize this. While a good shop can make a Bronco tranny out of a truck C-4 you will likly get a converted car tranny that will last at most a couple of years if you venture off the pavement.

OP
OP
M

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
Alright I will stick with the Bronco c4 then. I have it up on jack stands right now putting on a lift so I will go ahead and try that adjustment, but if that fails I will have to take it to get rebuilt. If the intermediate band is broken, does it hurt it to drive it?

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Rustytruck said:
Absolutely do not let go of your Bronco Tranny. A C-4 is not just a C-4 and the Broncos is very different than most. If your tranny doesnt pass tests then pull your tranny and take it to a good shop to be rebuilt. I cannot over emphasize this. While a good shop can make a Bronco tranny out of a truck C-4 you will likly get a converted car tranny that will last at most a couple of years if you venture off the pavement.

I agree with this...

Never under any circumstances give up your original Bronco C-4 unless it is absolutely trashed and can't be salvaged. The bronco exclusive pieces are the pan, filter, output shaft, valve body, governor valve assembly, cast iron adapter housing, and the shift lever.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
michael084 said:
Alright I will stick with the Bronco c4 then. I have it up on jack stands right now putting on a lift so I will go ahead and try that adjustment, but if that fails I will have to take it to get rebuilt. If the intermediate band is broken, does it hurt it to drive it?

You have 1 other option if you are strapped for cash. If your band is indeed broken you can install a Snap band to restore your 2nd gear. It requires removal of the valve body to access it. It is a specially modified flex band and strut assembly that can be installed underneath. This will buy you a little time untill you are ready to do the full rebuild. It takes about 2 hours to install if you have never done one before. Take out the broken pieces and save your original strut, you will need it when you put the stock band back in it at a later date.

! Do not continue to drive it till you have removed all the broken pieces. The loose band parts can get caught in the rotating assemblies and damage the internals and Jamb up your shift linkage as well.

Snap Band
ATC part number 26022S
You can get one at your nearest ATC distributor or a transmission shop can also order it for you. They come with a set of installation instructions.

~BH