• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 Transmission Problems, Help Me Diagnos...

RadioFlyer

Well, I just spent the last 14 months doing a full resto. When I started in on the C4 I found that it had a new torque converter, new clean seals and nice clean tranny fluid. I assumed (yeah, I know what that means) it was freshly rebuilt.

Today I drove it into town for the first time only to realize that while in drive (D) it wouldn't shift out of first. If I dropped it into second it would shift into second, if I put it back into drive it would shift down to first.

Now, before I pull the tranny out am I missing something? Is there anything to eliminate before I go to that length? Not enough fluid, too much fluid, clogged filter?

OP
OP
RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

I've read up a bit on other threads. I realize I know nothing about trannys. I see that "checking the vacuum" is something that should be done... Should a vacuum line be hooked up somewhere? How about polishing the valves? Anyone know about that?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've read up a bit on other threads. I realize I know nothing about trannys. I see that "checking the vacuum" is something that should be done... Should a vacuum line be hooked up somewhere? How about polishing the valves? Anyone know about that?

Yes you need a vac line from the intake manifold to the vac modulator on the back of the C4. The vac modulator is used to sense engine load. With no vac it thinks there's a big load on the engine so it doesn't want to shift.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Once you get your vacuum hooked up, keep in mind that the modulator is adjustable by using a small allen wrench inside the vacuum port on the single port models (green, blue, yellow stripe); which are most common from what I've seen. If you have a dual port VM (red stripe), the vacuum line does not have to be disconnected to adjust.

OP
OP
RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

As always, thanks...
Where exactly is the vacuum modulator?
Oh, and fluid level is over full...

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Do not polish valves, it rounds the corners of the lands thus making it easier for the valve to wedge a particle under it causing the valve to stick. Nice sharp corners on the lands help to keep the bore clean as the valve strokes back and fourth, If the valve needs cleaning, use a small wire brush. If the valve is deeply scratched, replace it, polishing it could make it worse and also lessen the diameter of the spool valve and cause a larger internal leak.

~BH~

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
As always, thanks...

C4 Modulator location:
The Vaccuum modulator is located at the rear of the transmission on the right side, just above the pan and the canister that houses the diaphram points towards the rear of the vehicle.

No 3rd gear shift
A number of things can cause a no 3rd shift condition. The most common seem to be usually a malfunction in the vacuum modulator system. The following are a list of preliminary things to check on your vacuum modulator circuit.
1) Make sure there is a good intake manifold vacuum signal reaching the vacuum modulator. Trace the vacuum line from the back of the intake manifold down the bell housing toward the back of the trans. Make sure the line and hoses are in good shape and capable of delivering a good vacuum signal to the modulator located just above the pan on the right rear side of the trans. Sometimes a simple replacement of a vacuum hose will cure the problem. A good vacuum signal will be 14-18 in.Hg on your vacuum gauge at the modulator @ idle. Not every C-4 can be expected to perform well if these vacuum readings are not met. A worn engine, and or poorly tuned carburetor, or ignition can cause a poor or inadequate vacuum signal.
2) Make sure the vacuum modulator itself is not bad or broken. If you remove the hose from the vacuum modulator and transmission fluid comes out of the hose connection, this is an indication that the vacuum modulator diaphragm has a hole in it and is considered bad or broken and in need of replacement. I usually check them with a hand held vacuum pump, and a postal scale. If you are in doubt or don’t have the proper tools to check the operation, replace the modulator. Sometimes these checks can indicate a good modulator and the vacuum modulator tested can still be bad. When in doubt, replace it with a good OEM brand like Century Brass, Scovill, or Rostra Controls.
3) Be certain the vacuum modulator valve inside the transmission case moves back an fourth freely and is installed properly. The shaft at one end of the spool valve will be pointed toward the rear of the car when installed properly.
4) The modulator pin needs to be in place. This is a steel pin that is about 3/32” in diameter and about 1 ½” long. This pin is the link that goes between the vacuum modulator diaphragm and the spool valve, and is absolutely needed for proper function of the modulator circuit.

Modulator Pressure;
The pressure is increased by a drop in the intake manifold vacuum signal coming from the engine. This signal actually increases or decreases the spring tension on the modulator valve and by doing this boosts a certain circuit of hydraulic pressure inside the transmission. If your engine is running good and well tuned, it may be delivering too strong of a vacuum signal to make the transmission behave satisfactorily. One of the ways you can compensate for this surplus of good vacuum is to either change the modulator to a different one or re-calibrate the existing one. The latter is only for fine tuning and should not be used for severe changes.

Adjusting the Screw;
To increase modulator pressure, you turn the screw in as if you were tightening the screw. To decrease modulator pressure, you turn the screw out as if you were loosening the screw. Increasing modulator pressure will cause the shift points to be later and firmer. Decreasing modulator pressure will cause the shift points to be sooner and softer. Turn the screw 1-2 full turns at a time then test drive the vehicle. Repeat the procedure, if necessary until desired results are reached. !Do NOT turn the screw more than 4 FULL TURNS in either direction from the factory preset or damage to the modulator could occur! The modulators come pre-set from the factory with a neutral adjustment, which is approximately 1 to 3 turn in from flush with the end of the mod. from this point, backing out the screw will do probably nothing. To increase modulator pressure you tighten the screw. Do not exceed 4 turns.

Adjustment screw location:
All 6 versions may or may not have an adjustment screw, which is usually located inside the vacuum hose connection with the exception of the red-stripe modulator. You will find the adjustment screw by unplugging the hose connection to the modulator at the trans. The red stripe dual input version, the screw is not located inside the hose connection but in the center rear of the diaphragm housing. The adjustment screw on the red-stripe dual modulator is found at the rear and not inside the hose connection. It cannot usually be adjusted unless the retainer is removed.

Types of vacuum modulators available for the C-4 and C-5:

Push-In or Bracket Mounted Modulators:
1) Red-stripe with two vacuum inputs. (large & small) Usually found on earlier (73-74) vehicles where EGR Devices were first introduced. This can in most cases be replaced with the green stripe version and get better results for the shift characteristics. The red-stripe dual diaphragm equipped C-4s use a different modulator retaining clip. This retaining clip is held in place by an extension housing bolt that is located just above the modulator. When changing the modulator to a single diaphragm type, you need to get the correct retainer from the dealer or the boneyard. C-5s also use the same C-4 retainer made for the single diaphragm modulator. The dual diaphragm retainer will cover access to the hose connection on the single diaphragm modulator. The retainers are made of spring steel.

2) Yellow stripe, with one single hose connection for High Vac lower altitude driving. Usually found on larger engines with strong vacuum signals, and trucks with earlier governor shift point calibration. Usually found on 72-81

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
As always, thanks...

You don't want to overfill it. It causes the fluid to foam and decreases it lubricity.

Attachments

• modulator.jpg
    modulator.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 75
  • mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

I hooked up the vacuum and presto, it shifts, imagine that.

So it shifts smoothly from 1st to second... maybe a pinch early but the weird thing is when I put my foot in it while in second it won't shift to third until I let off the gas slightly, then it shifts... but if I accelerate more, it immediately drops into second... Its as if it cannot accelerate in 3rd, only cruise.

I am going to try adjusting the vacuum but does this spur any other thoughts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What gear ratio and tire size are you running? Might just be too tall. Might also need to slacken the kickdown lever a little.

OP
OP
RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Gear ratio? Don't know... It's a stock c4 out of a 76. I am running 35's.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not an expert, but it seems that 35s 3.50s and a C4 will not like 3rd gear much