• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 - Wont shift into 3rd gear - FIXED = STUCK 2-3 SHIFT VALVE

OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
@Phil - I know and did refer back to post #2. Guess it's time to get it to tranny shop as this is where I get out of my comfort zone. I still suspect it is in the valave body and have contemplated a rebuild from broader performance. Wish I had an easy way to run a diagnostic on it to sort out where the issue is.

In the end, at least I am happy to have a functioning kick down, but gotta get 3rd because I cant go very fast with 4.56 gears in second gear!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You could air test the direct clutch. The valve body has to come back out to do it.

Attachments

• c4 pressure tests.jpg
    c4 pressure tests.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Ok- valve body back out. Will try air test on direct clutch and make sure all valves look good on valve body. Really appreciate any and all tips. I know that sometimes us rookies can be frustrating to someone who knows this stuff cold, but I am willing to learn and expand my skills.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Sorry, I lost track of how the thread started or I would have to told you to check it when the VB was off earlier. 40-50 psi should be enough to make the drums clunk. If you just hear leaking air and don't hear a clunk the clutch seals are done.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Hey Phil - On the schematic you show above, is the direct clutch the same thing as the forward clutch?

Get ready to become confused. No. It is the same thing as the reverse/high clutch. High refers to high gear or direct drive. It is also used in reverse. The forward clutch is applied in all 3 forward speeds.

The confusing part is the direct clutch (rev/high) is located in front of the forward clutch and has the intermediate band (2nd gear) wrapped around it.

OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Ok, the air test seemed to go well utilizing Phil's schematic he linked. The only one I question was the governor test because I also watched video the applied air in the "out" port instead of "in" port listed on schematic. Video was on "badshoeproduction" channel and was called "making air checks on ford c4 transmission. I put air in the "in" port, but will try outport tomorrow because I didn't get quite the same sound as video did.

I took apart valves in valve body and cleaned real well....found the 2-3 shift valve stuck. After cleaning well and replacing it the valve works smoothly, so I am hoping this will fix the lack of 3rd gear I am having. For this I used schematic off transgo.com website.

I will try to get valve body in and tranny filled tomorrow and post results of my test run. Thanks for help so far

SteveB

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I recommend not doing the governor checks for a couple reasons. 1) You know it works now. 2) Air checks can dislodge the washer on the primary valve spring and cause the governor to quit working.

The stuck 2-3 shaft valve would be the problem. Do not overtighten the valve body screws. 20 in-lbs (that's about nut driver torque) for the VB screws and 60-80 in-lbs for the mounting screws. Over torquing can cause the valves to stick.

OP
OP
kayakersteve

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Ok .... Final verdict! All it together and did test ride. Cycles through all 3 gears, kicks down nicely and shifts are crisp. Very happy and really appreciate all of the advice and tips given, especially by Phil.