• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cadi El Dorato calipers/ cutting brakes?

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Looking at Rough Stuff rear disc brake kits and they have the option for parking brakes for 200$ more. (10.25 Ford Sterling). They also sell the El Dorado calipers separate for 300$ so I’m just assuming that’s what their using. Just wondered if anyone has or seen these used as cutting brakes. How much stopping power does the mechanical portion provide? A couple of junkyard parking brake levers and a couple cables would be less monkeying around than hydraulic. I not looking to do hard core off-road, More moderate and get into some overlanding. Just though it might be option to add via a planned upgrade.
Thanks!

Scott

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the most part, I would say that the Cadillac parking brake calipers (D52 from 1976-1977 or D154 from 1978-1986) are not a very robust or excellent design. They have a history of having issues with the ratcheting piston mechanism seizing up (which accounts for pad wear) and aren't known for having an exceptionally high "holding torque" when actuated.

Cutting brakes are a fairly "hardcore off-road" driving technique, and if you're locked in the rear, then that's not really gonna work like it should/could, though a selectable locker or drive through type (Detroit) should allow overdriving one side versus the other. Some folks doing front digs will just power-brake and drag the rear if/when needed with HP and traction if/where possible, or you can use line-locks/roll-controls for that if installed, otherwise you could set it up like a formula drift car with dual calipers in the rear and a giggle-stick. No real limit to options, but I've never been very pleased with the performance of the Caddy calipers as a parking brake, certainly not enough to consider dual cables and actuators so that they could be used as a poor-man's cutting brake.

Tobin

OP
OP
ssray

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
For the most part, I would say that the Cadillac parking brake calipers (D52 from 1976-1977 or D154 from 1978-1986) are not a very robust or excellent design. They have a history of having issues with the ratcheting piston mechanism seizing up (which accounts for pad wear) and aren't known for having an exceptionally high "holding torque" when actuated.

Cutting brakes are a fairly "hardcore off-road" driving technique, and if you're locked in the rear, then that's not really gonna work like it should/could, though a selectable locker or drive through type (Detroit) should allow overdriving one side versus the other. Some folks doing front digs will just power-brake and drag the rear if/when needed with HP and traction if/where possible, or you can use line-locks/roll-controls for that if installed, otherwise you could set it up like a formula drift car with dual calipers in the rear and a giggle-stick. No real limit to options, but I've never been very pleased with the performance of the Caddy calipers as a parking brake, certainly not enough to consider dual cables and actuators so that they could be used as a poor-man's cutting brake.

Tobin
Many thanks Tobin! The only good then is that they are new for the extra 200$. :LOL: I was thinking more for tight trails or spots where a person might have to get turned around. Something to put in during a build, not after. Picking up a couple small master cylinders and calipers sure won’t cost an arm and leg anyway. Junkyard would be way less than 200$.

Scott