• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

California Smog question

BroncoQ

Was hoping to get some advice from someone who's gone through the california smog hassle. A friend of mine bought an out of state 76 and didn't know about the smog laws. He just tried to register it in California. It failed the pre-test and they listed the following as needed:

catalytic converter
vacuum line switches
thermostatic air cleaner
egr
pump air injector
fuel evaporator

Sounds like the person at the inspection place gave him a pretty hard time about it all so he's pretty discouraged.

Any advice on the best way to move forward? If he takes it to a garage can they order these parts and get the bronco "smog ready"? Do any of the bronco parts sites (Tom's, JBG, BC Broncos, etc.) have something like a smog kit that has all the parts needed that he could order and a shop could install?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

broncoswede61

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles,CA
I don't think any of the venders have a kit.As far as I know LMC Truck has the smog pump and you can get a air cleaner from JBG for about $150 and also JBG has all the diagrams in their tech section.The EVAP canisters aren't that hard to find.On a 76 it was mounted on the pass. side firewall.

The bad news is trying to find the bracket for the pump.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
It can be very unpleasant to deal with the smog Nazis here in Kalifornia, they are God like and must be obeyed. And they do not use Astro lube!
From your list, everything has been removed, the good news is you will be able to find the parts, the bad news is at what cost? I know Tom's has take off stuff, but I do not think anyone has a package of parts they can send you. See an Exhaust shop for a cat, about $200 for that + install. Some of the parts can be found on Ebay, again at what $$$. I think you will need to get a "picture" of the emissions equipment that you need, maybe from a another CA member with all the stuff in place or maybe from a service manual. Another 1976 vehicle (1/2 ton trk) with CA emission equipment could be a donor. Does the motor have the stock exhaust manifolds? I cannot remember if in that year they pumped the air injection air into the exhaust manifolds or into the intake manifold and then through ports in the head. I seem to remember that the EGR was on a plate sandwiched between the carb and intake manifold. You are going to have to become very knowledgeable about this. A shop might be able to do this for you, but at what cost. I was in the same place you are, but I was able to get mine on the road. Do not get discouraged, you can make it happen.

Doug

BroncoQ said:
Was hoping to get some advice from someone who's gone through the california smog hassle. A friend of mine bought an out of state 76 and didn't know about the smog laws. He just tried to register it in California. It failed the pre-test and they listed the following as needed:

catalytic converter
vacuum line switches
thermostatic air cleaner
egr
pump air injector
fuel evaporator

Sounds like the person at the inspection place gave him a pretty hard time about it all so he's pretty discouraged.

Any advice on the best way to move forward? If he takes it to a garage can they order these parts and get the bronco "smog ready"? Do any of the bronco parts sites (Tom's, JBG, BC Broncos, etc.) have something like a smog kit that has all the parts needed that he could order and a shop could install?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

irwin

Loc.
redding
there is a place in la that makes reproduction smog parts the price is your left leg and three fingers.i went through this probaly about 8 years ago ended up towing the the bronco to oregon and selling it to tom remeber you only failed the visaul inspection so far that doesn't mean ounce you have spent a fortune on parts and passed the visaul you will not fail the sniff test.figur out value of the bronco you have to cost of smogging!sorry not to be all posative about your situation but i have been there and no hoe screwed your freind is

welndmn

Bronco Guru
That sucks, if it was his, shame on him for removing those parts and not keeping them.
If he bought it, and is bringing it in as a new sale, I would return it and get another if they are not to attached to it.

Most of those parts you can buy from the Bronco vendors, but I would start here in the classfied sections asking for parts. As these parts will nickle and dime you.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
is it nice? i have a nice home for it in NH (lol)

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
Another consideration is where he lives. If it is in an "enhanced smog area" then it will be tougher to pass the test. In those areas it will have to be tested on a dynamometer. Good luck! I don't think CA likes classic cars.

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
Fyi

the cats are going to cost you so see if you can pick some out from a pic and pull then knock the stuff out of them as long as the truck run,s good and by good i mean no smoke good plugs stuff like that you get the point then weld them in they just need to be there and dont do much for an old truck like that one

bannind

If you don't get the smog pump bracket from Fwilder, I have one I can ship you.

OsideDave

Anyone know when (if ever)will his 76 be smog exempt? You can register it out of state w/ a friend or relative or get a PO box in a "smog" friendly state. That is a lot of work but it may be less work than getting all the parts, installing them and then there is no guarantee it will still pass. Yrs ago there were smog guys that would run your vehicle or someone elses and pass you but that is hard to do now. Good luck

suckerpunched

I guess another option would be to put a later model EFI motor in it. Still not a cheap route, but might be easier to justify the cost.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
Under current law, a 76 will never be exempt. They did away with the 30 year rolling exemption. 75 and older are now exempt. I don't think you can get by the visual inspection with the 5.0 engine. Even though it is a much cleaner engine, it isn't original equipment, so you will fail before you even get sniffed. There used to be a provision for going to a referee smog station for this sort situation, but you could put a lot of money and effort into it and still not get it registered. It might be easier to sell it out of state and look for a pre-76 truck.

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
You can put any engine in as long as it is the same year or newer. You will then be smogged under the rules of that engine, not the year of the body. I would buy a complete 88-93 Mustang and install the engine with all the smog stuff. Then go to your friendly neighborhood smog referee and get inspected. When you pass, they'll put a special sticker under the hood.
If you're trying to stay stock, then look for a similar year truck in the junkyard and start pulling parts.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I have heard a few comments about catalytic converters being expensive. That is not accurate. That used to be the case, but not any more. You can get a universal cat installed at most exhaust shops that will meet the smog nazi requirements for 80-100 dollars installed.

The difficult part of getting this rig to pass is probably the air pump setup. All of the other things can be found. I went through this exact same thing when I brought my 74 back to commiefornia after i graduated from college. At that time, it wasn't exempt. Thankfully it is now.
I did a bunch of research at the time and wrote an article for Bronco driver called "Pleasing the California Smog Gods". It was in issue #2 if you can round it up.

1 old 67

Loc.
L.A.
not to be a smart guy or anything but how is it that these things that are put on cars trucks whatever . make the environment better and i know that it is worse mileage so it is putting more exhaust it the air so were is this helping ? i would like to know

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
I live in San Diego and have a 77 which passes with flying colors. Here's some tips:

You can get the entire exhaust with muffler and cat for about $350.00

Most of the smog parts you can find on older ford cars or Vans in the junkyards. Like Pick U Part or ecology.

I have a spare smog pump bracket I'd sell ya dirt cheap. The only real hard part is the aircleaner. That is Ford particular. If you need any help just email me direct. I've had plenty of experience with this in California.

Terry