• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam change without removing engine?

OP
OP
S

squeezer

I will go in as far as the timing chain but not bother with a cam...

To answer the seam sealer question. This truck has been painted. (Thus the term survivor grade and not survivor...). Almost everything else is how it left the factory in 77.

Not sure why but the OEM plug wires make me smile...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, people are getting big bucks for OE repro wires. And even bigger bucks for originals.
I know a guy that's getting 400-800 bucks for a set of original plug wires from rare Mustangs (Shelby's and Boss' etc.) and such.
The problem is finding them in good condition, but since a car like that rarely drives anymore, I guess their condition and how well the ignition works is secondary to how it shows anyway.
Shame that...

So yeah, both types of owners are grinnin' at old wires. Those that have 'em, and those that sell 'em!;D

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I will go in as far as the timing chain but not bother with a cam...

To answer the seam sealer question. This truck has been painted. (Thus the term survivor grade and not survivor...). Almost everything else is how it left the factory in 77.

Not sure why but the OEM plug wires make me smile...

I just noticed this is your first thread.
Welcome to CB! Could you post some photos of your car?

I just went through the maintenance records book in my '77. I've changed my plug wires five times in its life. Motorcraft wires every time.;)
It's amazing factory wires would last that long. I wonder if the plugs have ever been replaced?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I just noticed this is your first thread.
Welcome to CB! Could you post some photos of your car?

I just went through the maintenance records book in my '77. I've changed my plug wires five times in its life. Motorcraft wires every time.;)
It's amazing factory wires would last that long. I wonder if the plugs have ever been replaced?

Yup, the plug wires on my 5.0 are original from 1998. New plugs though.

Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Most old plug wires won't last near that long. I think buckaroo's 5 changes is probably pretty normal. Wired deteriorate much quicker than people think in a lot of cases.
I've seen modern wires last 15 years and 200k miles and not show any signs of reduced performance. But not so much in the old days.

I would imagine it's possible for a wire from the '70's to still be good. But more often than not it needed replacing in only a few years. I'm sure us tinkering types have replaced wires well before their time too though, so no telling how long they would have "worked" had they been allowed to stay.
But like I mentioned above, not all of those big-buck wire sets are going to be good. They'll still function, but they won't be anywhere near their peak efficiency at passing energy down to the plug gap.

Paul