• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cam change

Digger556

has anyone chandged out the camshaft thru the front of the engin? was it difficult?

Did mine. Took measurements as good as I could, thought it would clear the grill. I was wrong, about 1/4" short, even pulling it forward.

It's much easier to pull the front clip first. Clean the engine compartment really well to minimize dirt falling into the engine. I used lots of clean shop towels to cover the open portions of the engine. Shop vacs are handy for gently removing any debris that falls into the valley.

Take your time, line up every part on the bench as is comes out of the engine to avoid mis-matching parts. Remember that new flat tappet cams require new lifters. Roller cams are GTG.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Remember that new flat tappet cams require new lifters. Roller cams are GTG.
>>> with a roller cam you don't even need to remove the intake... I swapped the cam with the anderson tappet tool.... though they can easily be made yourself with carriage bolts,wing nuts & magnets.... OP.- definitely remove the grill,whole front clip or engine to swap cams.... don't be one of those people who cut the flippin' grill.... grill removes really easily after you have done it once & have all the bolts coated with anti-seize.... that said, there's no way in hell I'm removing the grill just to work on the front of the engine.....

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_0782.jpg
    100_0782.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 72