• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam Suggestions and Exhaust - stock 302

MnCampNHunt

Loc.
Twin Cities
I'm excited to be helping my cousin restore a '71 EB - 302 3-in the tree. He was able to find/buy the truck his dad had for many years and the one he learned to drive in. Fond memories for both of us. We're in MN so it is in pretty tough shape now but the motor runs well and without leaks.

Plans are taking shape, tub is shot so likely will include full disassembly and frame getting media blasted and powder coated. I see him driving this to work year round a day or two a week.

For the motor thinking a Holley Sniper 2300 EFI (2bbl) and staying with the stock manifold. Using Holley Hyperspark ignition to get timing control via the EFI system. Possibly an electric cooling fan with an alum radiator. Adding power steering and power disk brakes F/R (maybe the Wilwoods!). Thinking of leaving the fenders uncut and probably 31" tires (maybe on 17" rims).

Since he's doing all that, to me we should put a cam in it. Something with low end torque and good smooth idle. Possibly a Comp Cam XE250H (206/212 @.050 w/ .460/.474" lift) or the Edlebrock Performer Plus 204/214 @.050 w/ .448/.472 lift). Thoughts and experiece with something like this with EFI?

Exhaust/Headers??? Should we look at headers, are the stock manifolds a flow bottle neck? Shorties or Longtube? Whats the advantage of a 2-into-1 exhaust (WH?) over a dual exhaust. Muffler? Want a fairly quite sytem, but with some rumble/noise if you put your foot in it.