• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam suggestions for 351W?

Goldhawg

I have a 351W in 71 half-cab; hate the lopey idle from the big cam in it. I'd like a nice 0-5500RPM cam w/very smooth idle. I currently have carb but will be going to EFI; when I go to EFI I'd like to do the cam at the same time while I'm in the engine.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Since I'm putting on an Edelbrock performer manifold I'm just thinking of getting the performer cam to match. I will go w/Howell's TBI too.

Should I get an edelbrock timing chain while I'm at it or is there a better timing chain?

Oatmeal

Since I'm putting on an Edelbrock performer manifold I'm just thinking of getting the performer cam to match. I will go w/Howell's TBI too.

Should I get an edelbrock timing chain while I'm at it or is there a better timing chain?
Check out Summit Racing I have their cam and lifter set that has the EXACT same specs as the Edelbrock Performer (probably the same cam) for quite a bit less. I have an Edelbrock Performer carb and intake for now (I plan on doing the Howell conversion as well......sourced alot of the parts and just need the chip and harness now) I bought a Summit double roller chain as well but, I've used Cloyes and Isky in the past. All good quality just make sure the rollers are solid without the split (seam)---------Hans

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Baja Beast from Crower.
Hydraulic Haulers are great cams too also from Crower.

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Check out Summit Racing I have their cam and lifter set that has the EXACT same specs as the Edelbrock Performer (probably the same cam) for quite a bit less. (seam)---------Hans

Don't you get what you pay for? Is this cam made in china? I like saving $$, but the last thing I want to do is put in a cam and then have a problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A lot of companies like summit get named brand companies to produce parts but they cant use the name so the price is cheaper. I bought a fuel filter once from summit but they ended up having issues with the seal they sent me the actual named brand fram one.
Quite a few people are using the summit cam with no issues. Personnally I'd rather have the named brand.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't you get what you pay for? Is this cam made in china? I like saving $$, but the last thing I want to do is put in a cam and then have a problem.

Considering how few mass cam grinders left, I will bet it is the same cam. At one time I knew a half dozen different companies selling the exact same specs. Ford Motorsports even has the same grind. Ran the summit cam with no issues (other then saving some money doing so). any cam issues I have heard of in the past few years can be traced back to the oil/lube/break-in. The cam (.448/.472 lift version) is a great match for a small block ford. With good heads I could pull 6000 RPM out of the 351W. Strong runner in a 302 in a mustang as well. Mild enough that idle is good. Wakes up as soon as you touch the throttle. I have never heard any issues related to the quality of the Summit house brand cams.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Strangely enough I've heard about comp cams having a lot of issues not sure if it was the cams are the installers but it seems like they had a lot of issues a while back.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
I think you heard more about the Comp cams failures because they are the biggest selling aftermarket cams and sell a ton to the DIY market.
We saw a number of failures with other cams as well as Comp.
My biggest suggestion is to buy quality lifters. We had a ton of problems with off shore lifters while Johnson lifter was out of business.

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Well, I will buy the cam and lifter kit, so if the summit cam is ok, are their lifters good too?

Happy to save $$ if the quality is good...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Edelbrock performer IS the Ford E303, or so says both the Ford and Edelbrock techs.

I'm also looking for a 351w roller efi cam.

I just used the Comp cams downloadable Camquest software, pretty basic but does give lots of info and inputs, it shows 8-12 cams depending on economy or performance and the "best" two are the XE258HR and the 266HR, both coming on at about 1,200rpm and topping at about 5,200-5,300. It does show about 8 others providing different levels of Tq/HP.

I have an email into Camquest as well to see what they recommend, although from one person here who used them, they sound best. I am afraid of the lift he used to get the results. I would think pushing .6" lift (increase of 20 percent) would increase wear/stress on the valvetrain, just thinking out loud...

Oatmeal

Well, I will buy the cam and lifter kit, so if the summit cam is ok, are their lifters good too?

Happy to save $$ if the quality is good...
The most important factor of cam longevity is proper lubing at assembly and break in. I like to add an extra quart of oil to make sure the cam gets plenty of oil during break in........I've never had a cam go flat---------Hans

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Thinking of just going w/summit cam/lifter kit ($100). Any timing chain reccos while I'm at it?

thx

66Bronco

351W Cam

Wild Bill has a Sig Erson TQ30 in his Bronco (or at least he did at one time). I had one in mine and really liked it.

-Terry

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
Thinking of just going w/summit cam/lifter kit ($100). Any timing chain reccos while I'm at it?

thx

I used Summits timing chain and I really liked it. When i bought mine it looked like the crankshaft sprocket was all forged, and then the cam sprocket was cast. Unlike my Crane set which both peices were cast.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bax, when you say EX264 do you mean XE264? And when you say 264, which part number? One is 35-320-8 with a LCA of 112 and one is 35-349-8 LCA of 114, both similar hp/tq numbers,?

I just spent a while talkiing with Comp and running their camquest program, seems a 266HR (1,200-5,200 band) or the EX264HR (1,500-5,500 band) cams would be best.

Anybody running a 266HR part number 35-308-8?

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
hey Goldhawg, i have howells tbi on my windsor. its a great system but not very expandable. Its definatly a step up in efficency and reliability from a carb plus being a repackaged gm computer and tbi you can buy parts for it ANYWHERE