• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cam Synchronizer

36Fan

Contributor
I have a late 60's 289 with an unknown flat tappet hyd camshaft. Im putting a 2000 Explorer EFI system on the 289. Im guessing the cam sync steel gear will ruin the cast camshaft gear? Do they sell cast gears for the sync?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Yes it will damage the old cam. You can possibly take the old gear of your 289 distributor. Or Comp Cams make a gear that will work on any cam I think it is actually composite.

OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
I was just reading some info on composite gears, also nvrstuk had posted a link to a company that makes Sync's with different gears.

As long as I get the depth correct it shouldnt be a problem to press off the old gear and install it onto the stock 5.0 sync. Hopefully the shaft diam is the same?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Yes you can get a cast gear for the synchronizer, measure the shaft dia. because there’s two different shaft sizes.

Mark

OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
Mines .450

I'll start searching for a cast gear.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It's a pain in the backside 36Fan...what is wrong with the Ford engineers anyway??? SOOO frustrating when they make different gears out of different materials for the SAME cam synchronizer and then to make matters worse the ID of the SAME type of gear is different than another...WTH?

Anyway, if you order several different cam synchronizers you will get DIFFERENT cam gears made of different materials...yes...that's the way I got the correct gear to use on mine...keep ordering...

So this past month on my chirping debacle, I ordered a new cam synchronize because I had several top techs tell me it was the cam synchronizer... yeah, you guessed it-they had different gears on them so I had to take another one off and swap it over to the new one...dang Ford engineers-- what a bunch of idiots... guess that's my .02 lol

Wish you luck!

OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
Amazing! I'll keep reading and searching, might have to hit the junk yards. Worse case I'll have to change the ignition system over and not run the EDIS for now.

Thanks everyone!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Go pull a few from the bone yards...you'll find the right size AND material... easy to tell if it's cast so don't delay on the EDIS...you'll love it.

OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
Pulled 4 from the junk yard today, no luck, all the same size and material. Did score another Explorer intake though.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Bummer....

Oh, another Ford FYI... the roll pin holes that hold the gear on the shaft arent all drilled at a perfect 90deg...so a heads up that you will probably have to redrill the hole one size larger to align the holes... :(

Hard to believe they are still in business doing this kind of stuff...lol

Last edited:
OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
Bummer....

Oh, another Ford FYI... the roll pin holes that hold the gear on the shaft arent all drilled at a perfect 90deg...so a heads up that ypu will probably have to redrill the hole one size larger to align the holes... :(

Hard to believe they are still in business doing this kind of stuff...lol

I'll keep an eye on the roll pin, thanks.

Hopefully Garberz has some info on what he can up with. Worse case I'll have to buy the MSD sync.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Pull the gear off the shaft and measure there, you’ll see that it’s actually .530”. There’s a step in the shaft just below the gear. The older dizzy’s had the smaller .467 shaft dia. The newer Windsor’s have the .530” dia shafts. I don’t know the changeover year, but every Explorer cam synchronizer I’ve seen has the .530” shaft. Steel gears are for the newer roller type cams, iron/cast are for the older flat tappet type cams.

Mark

nvrstuk

Contributor
So if all roller cams are supposed to use steel gears or "melonized steel" - whatever the heck that is, then ANY Windstar 3.8 cam synch. gear should worksm since ALL of 3.8 years that we use for the cam synch in a SBF had roller cams...so we should be OK even if the cam synchronizer gear "looks" like it is a casting...maybe its crappy Ford machining...thinkof the weld quality on our Broncos...ANYthing is possible here!!

Thoughts??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190721-183615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190721-183615_Chrome.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 45

nvrstuk

Contributor
My brand new Motorcraft cam synchronizer is DOA. It has less than 150 miles on it and it won't turn...even with visegrips on it!

I need to order a replacement and hope it has what should be a steel gear since all roller cams need a steel gear (or brass) and all 1999 Windstar 3.8's had roller cams... so in theory they should all be steel. Right?? Well, this is Ford so... lol

Dang...glad I checked it before it went back in...and how did it NOT seize up in the motor? I mean the engine was running fine, I pulled it, and since I'm doing some major engine mod's I decided to check cam gear depth (again), I checked the oil pump shaft "end play" and luckily found that the cam sychronizer wouldn't rotate (espcially before installing it in my new engine on Thursday...)

No way I got this mixed up with the couple others I have... maybe I did but it looks brand new...

Last edited:
OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
My brand new Motorcraft cam synchronizer is DOA. It has less than 150 miles on it and it won't turn...even with visegrips on it!!!

So now I need to order a replacement and hope it has what should be- a steel gear since all roller cams need a steel gear and all 1999 Windstar 3.8's had roller cams...

Dang...glad I checked it before it went back in...and how did it seize up NOT in the motor? I mean the engine was running fine, I pulled it, and since Im doing some major engine mod's I decided to check cam gear depth, oul pump shaft "end play" and luckily found that it wouldn't rotate before installing it in my new rngine on Thursday...

Mine has 200k+ on it and spins fine, wonder what happened? Somehow the problem is connected with 3 lifters going out?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Here's the choices at Summit for gears...
Lists 3.8 and SBF and its steel...got everything covered...

I wasnt sure till I measured mine and confirmed here on Summit but the measurement is ID .531"

Attachments

• 20190722_063703.jpg
    20190722_063703.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP

36Fan

Contributor
Here's the choices at Summit for gears...
Lists 3.8 and SBF and its steel...got everything covered...

I wasnt sure till I measured mine and confirmed here on Summit but the measurement is ID .531"

I just got the sum-850463 gear in the mail, looks good so far. I wanted to order a new Motorcraft sync but after receiving my new Motorcraft water pump with a big Made in China sticker on it, Im not to confident in getting the sync.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well, I can let ya know tomorrow if the Motorcraft caam synch's are made in China tomorrow! :(

Maybe that's why my 150 mile special died an early life...