• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Camping in the bronco

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
So, we will hopefully be doing more camping over the next few years in the bronco. Does anyone have a cool system for the back area of the bronco that keeps everything tidy and doesn't allow stuff to fly around?

My back seat folds up or I can take it out, I had in mind a removeable system that you could bolt down using totes or something? Get back home, I would just remove and stash everything.

TIA

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Well, I always used a big cardboard box with the lid strapped down. Worked wonderfully. Other folk with fancy set-ups did not fair quite so well. We pioneers had to work with what he had.%)

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Some guys use these "removable bed eye bolts". The outer sleeve is screwed in place with a nut from below, & the inner eye bolt can be removed when it's not needed. It seems like it would be good to have some button heads on hand to fill the hole when not in use.

Pic & idea borrowed from Ioalus
in-hand-(b).jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ProGrip-822920-Removable-Trailer-Shank/dp/B000HAB7G4

At work we have a trailer with "E track" with the clip in ratchet straps. It's low profile & pretty handy. I've wondered about mounting some of that to floor of the bed.

qty-10-2-x-12-ft-interior-van-ratchet-e-track-straps-w-spring-fittings-ratchetstrap-com_196_9d9acd11-35c8-46a2-bb46-c54a68117227_grande.jpg

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
So, we will hopefully be doing more camping over the next few years in the bronco. Does anyone have a cool system for the back area of the bronco that keeps everything tidy and doesn't allow stuff to fly around?

My back seat folds up or I can take it out, I had in mind a removeable system that you could bolt down using totes or something? Get back home, I would just remove and stash everything.

TIA

Ben, I have been going on extended trips with mine for the last 20 years. There are lots of vendors that sell various tie down hooks, etc. I bought a bunch of simple folt-flat rectangular rings years ago and mounted several of them in the troughs of the bed floor. Mostly for rough travel, which is much of what I do, so that I can use ratchet straps to secure the contents. I have an electric fridge freezer that I strap to the floor right behind the drivers seat. Water jerry can goes next to it. Hard and dry goods go in Rubbermaid Action Packers (the cool guys buy Pelican cases but not going there) plus I travel with an ancient, older than me Coleman white gas stove that gets trapped between the boxes. Strap all the hard stuff down then soft goods get piled on top. I probably have a photo or two of my packed Bronco if you are interested.

Also a couple of years ago I spoiled myself by purchasing a hard shell rooftop tent. My hard top is permanently installed so it was an easy choice. Very comfortable for this old guy despite having to deal with the ladder at night for the obvious reason.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
In the Air Force we used tracks screwed to the floor to secure seats and other objects. These were quickly removed turned around or slid down the tracks. They looked like these; https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/collections/track. I think many cargo and passenger aircraft use them. Very slick, secure, and preserve a flat floor.
Another camping conversion I built was s plywood platform that filled the area behind the front seat. The front and rear had 2X4 legs that held the platform at the same level as the tops of the rear wheel wells. A 2X4 H frame supported the platform. It also had a piano hinge for a section that folded out over the area between the seats and behind the pass. seat that was folded against the dash. I covered the whole platform with carpet so my wife and I could sleep on it. The space below the platform held our gear, cloths, etc. I'm 6'2" and the platform was plenty long enough. We were comfy and dry through all night rain.

BOBS 2 68S

Loc.
Hudson, CO
Way back in the day. I would take the back seat out, flip the passenger seat up against the dash. I would sleep with my head to the tail gate and feet at the passenger seat.
It was hard and cold (November) but doable. I am 6 foot and was 25 at the time.
I have also slept across the driver-passenger seat in the 1/2 cab. Got some sleep but not much.
I just didn't want to set up a tent

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Not so much for camping but getting 4 adults and their stuff for a days adventure in mine. They are stackable and proven to be weather tight even riding on the roof in the ran on the highway. They were sized better and less expensive than Action Packers which are great but not that great in my opinion.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-wolf-pack.html

And yes that is the spare off my trailer.... I use it for the Bronco too, no need to carry a heavy, big 37" tire. Used it sever times and it works perfectly.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 306

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Not so much for camping but getting 4 adults and their stuff for a days adventure in mine. They are stackable and proven to be weather tight even riding on the roof in the ran on the highway. They were sized better and less expensive than Action Packers which are great but not that great in my opinion.

And yes that is the spare off my trailer.... I use it for the Bronco too, no need to carry a heavy, big 37" tire. Used it sever times and it works perfectly.

You shouldn't post links like that where I can see them. There goes an hour of my life that I'll never get back %)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I use a couple of the extendable truck bed rods from Harbor Freight.
They can be used to block your cargo, or tie a cargo net onto.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
back in the day I used a large military green plastic container to hold necessary junk giving me on place to get into and out of. I used eye bolts in the seat belt bolt holes. used turn buckles to tie it to the eye bolts. soft goods stayed on top of the box. at camp we pulled out the plastic box and set it under the tailgate to be used as a step up. everything was protected in the box all in one place and weather proof. when we grew up as adults we moved to trailers first a pop-up then to a converted military trailer and now to a Scamp 13. I like everything contained for easy set up. if you plan to use plastic totes get the ones with built in open handles especially in you need to tie stuff down as in offroad travel. they are easy to load unload and strap down and fairly weather proof when you unload for overnight stay. keep everything packed in the totes so you don't have to do the week rush and search and pack the week before a trip. closed containers keep the trail dust out. keeps you from a trip without a can opener or a knife on a weekend holiday trip 60 miles away from any conveniences. did that one once wont do it again. Rocks just don't replace those 2 items when you need them.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks guys, this is the input I needed.

Rusty we keep everything in totes and set up just for camping for the reasons you suggested.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri

Thanks for the link Yeller, lots to get the creative juices going...

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Ben, I have been going on extended trips with mine for the last 20 years. There are lots of vendors that sell various tie down hooks, etc. I bought a bunch of simple folt-flat rectangular rings years ago and mounted several of them in the troughs of the bed floor. Mostly for rough travel, which is much of what I do, so that I can use ratchet straps to secure the contents. I have an electric fridge freezer that I strap to the floor right behind the drivers seat. Water jerry can goes next to it. Hard and dry goods go in Rubbermaid Action Packers (the cool guys buy Pelican cases but not going there) plus I travel with an ancient, older than me Coleman white gas stove that gets trapped between the boxes. Strap all the hard stuff down then soft goods get piled on top. I probably have a photo or two of my packed Bronco if you are interested.

Also a couple of years ago I spoiled myself by purchasing a hard shell rooftop tent. My hard top is permanently installed so it was an easy choice. Very comfortable for this old guy despite having to deal with the ladder at night for the obvious reason.

Thanks Lars, I do recall you posting about doing some camping/traveling in your bronco now that you say that.

If you run across a pic, I would like to see it.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Thanks Lars, I do recall you posting about doing some camping/traveling in your bronco now that you say that.

If you run across a pic, I would like to see it.

X2 with the pictures. I'm building my Bronco for some overland camping.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
back in the day I used a large military green plastic container to hold necessary junk giving me on place to get into and out of. I used eye bolts in the seat belt bolt holes. used turn buckles to tie it to the eye bolts. soft goods stayed on top of the box. at camp we pulled out the plastic box and set it under the tailgate to be used as a step up. everything was protected in the box all in one place and weather proof. when we grew up as adults we moved to trailers first a pop-up then to a converted military trailer and now to a Scamp 13. I like everything contained for easy set up. if you plan to use plastic totes get the ones with built in open handles especially in you need to tie stuff down as in offroad travel. they are easy to load unload and strap down and fairly weather proof when you unload for overnight stay. keep everything packed in the totes so you don't have to do the week rush and search and pack the week before a trip. closed containers keep the trail dust out. keeps you from a trip without a can opener or a knife on a weekend holiday trip 60 miles away from any conveniences. did that one once wont do it again. Rocks just don't replace those 2 items when you need them.

I'd love to see a picture of the bronco towing the scamp. I've been searching for one to tow with our bronco for years with no luck.

Remos69

Contributor
Loc.
SW Florida
Just came back from a 14 day camping trip with my Bronco including 3 days at super celebration. I had three large coolers, five totes, a keg and keg cooler, one large storage box with my tent and sleeping bags and inflatable mattress, Shade tent, 4 fishing rods, suitcase..... It all fit!!!! Mind you I towed the bronco with my expedition and the the stuff was in the expedition El! It was an open trailer with no gear in the bronco other than the bronco cover and camp chair.

On a totally different note......

My uncle used the Bronco for a month long camping trips into the deserts of Utah Arizona Colorado and New Mexico or up to a month or more. He carried most of the supplies for his trips in the Bronco. He knew from experience what it would take and created a series of wooden boxes and layered them in the rear of the Bronco with everything you needed. He also had a detailed map of how to stack and fit the boxes for each trip. Did not carry a cooler as the majority of his food was either freeze dried or just dried. He always carried 10 gallons of water on the exterior but only used it as a last resort as he filtered is needed supplies.

I am not my uncle!

Lawndart

Loc.
Heading out for a week camping/fly fishing. New config. This is fairly compacted with not too much luxury. I think a packing system could take up some valuable space. I prefer to have all packed below the bed line.
Hard to compare to the older days - I have slept snuggled up under pine trees with nothing but a jacket. Those days are in the rear view.
Southbound and down.
51167318674_b2682cc74a_z.jpg

51165874177_9664638846_z.jpg