• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

can I have a good Stereo system without a sub

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I want to add a sub badly. You don't have to get too crazy with the sound system - mine right now is a small amp driving two older Infinity 6x9s that reside in panels that I built into the rear quarters immediately behind the front seats. It sounds decent but the lows are lacking badly. I feed that amp with a portable Sirius receiver and/or my phone or tablet via the RCA inputs to the amp. It is loud enough to overcome the wind noise when running doorless on the freeway but filling in the lows has long been on my list. Been running this setup since 2009 - its okay at best.

JL Audio makes a pretty nice 8" sub that requires a very small amount of sealed air space. I will buy one someday and mount it either under the passenger's seat or in a custom enclosure somewhere near there. That with a larger amp will suit my needs in the Bronco forever. You won't get thumping bass out of it but it will fill in the lows in rock and country just fine.

Ya' know....I feel ya' on the JL equipment. Awesome stuff.
But I would try to step up to a 10" or 12" sub.
My experience with 8" subs, even really expensive ones like JL is they just don't hit hard enough.
Since you are trying to have bass in a convertible you are likely going to need to go with more surface area (10" or 12") and more power than you are probably expecting.
Eb's aren't easy to fill with bass anyway, once you take the top off it gets even harder.
I am thinking atleast 10" or 12" sub and atleast 250 watts.
I know that may sound like a lot for country and rock....but people just do not realize how much bass is in modern music...especially modern country.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Amp installed in my Tuffy Console and Polk Audio DXi690 speakers installed in the roadster insert "backing plates". I think it is about as good as you can get without dedicated subs. You can "feel" the speakers but no bass shaking going on. No doors, no top, at highway speeds, wind blowing everything, and I'm Rocking just fine.

Last edited:

panteramatt

As a fellow metalhead (hence my name) I listen to my music LOUD! I have 5 vehicles and they all have a good stereo even the bronco and my 69 mach1. Ive built several systems and can recommend brands. You can put a slim self powered sub that will fit under the seat of your bronco for a little added bass. Then a nice 2 channel amp with some 6.5" components and youll go deaf.

panteramatt

I want to be able to blast some Metallica with the top off, and have a decent amount bass.

I will most likely have to cram a box under the passenger seat.

Thanks for the links to the speakers/amp/box.. will post back when I figure something out.

Sorry but you cant have both. With the top off all your bass will be exiting the vehicle. You will still "feel" the bass so itll make you think its loud.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I use those subs in my f250 and their decent for shallow mounts. BUT, that amp is junk!

Yes Sir Matt.

To the original poster,

You will generally get what you pay for.
Stick with the high end stuff and you will be happier longer.
I usually avoid names like Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, etc,....for amps and subs.
They make fine stereos but....I prefer other names for subs and amps.
I prefer JL but there are many amp and sub manufacturers that really hit the mark.
Your enclosure will likely be custom made.
Do not forget the Dynamat. It makes a big difference with bass, especially while rolling down the road.

panteramatt

Yes Sir Matt.

To the original poster,

You will generally get what you pay for.
Stick with the high end stuff and you will be happier longer.
I usually avoid names like Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, etc,....for amps and subs.
They make fine stereos but....I prefer other names for subs and amps.
I prefer JL but there are many amp and sub manufacturers that really hit the mark.
Your enclosure will likely be custom made.
Do not forget the Dynamat. It makes a big difference with bass, especially while rolling down the road.

Completely agree!!!;D While JL is expensive its nice stuff. Stick with pioneer and kenwood for headunits. I use higher infinity line, polk, or focals for speakers. Amps, JL, kicker, or RF are all under rated.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
No ttrue at all! Rap=booming bass. Metal=tight fast hitting bass. Ever listen to country? Thats shit hits hard!

Again,
very true.
I have had some serious sound systems....don't be too hard on me fellas but...
I have competed at the db drags in DB @ the IASCAS.
I was young.
It was the 80's.
I have had thousands of watts and numerous drivers.
The three hardest hitting bass cd's were not necessarily rap.
It was most Metallica...yup.
James Taylors greatest hits....whut?
And that German composer Vagner, amazing kettle drum bass.
Of course there was lots of low frequency booming rap bass but while that produces incredible spl, it does not make the most db.
Most of my rocker buddies were converted to wanting subs the very first time they heard Metallica, Queensryche, Megadeath, etc...in my truck.
All of todays music is full of bass of all frequencies, especially (ironically) country.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Polk Audio DXi690.. Great Sound PLUS it is a marine speaker.

Marsh

im taking my truck into the shop next week to get a full system put in. im getting two 10" subs and two 8" mid range put in fiberglass enclosures in the rear quarter panels, and two 6.5" midrange in the sound bar, as well as a 1000 watt amp. All jl marine audio, its going to be pretty expensive, but its going to be pretty much the best sound you can get in a bronco.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
im taking my truck into the shop next week to get a full system put in. im getting two 10" subs and two 8" mid range put in fiberglass enclosures in the rear quarter panels, and two 6.5" midrange in the sound bar, as well as a 1000 watt amp. All jl marine audio, its going to be pretty expensive, but its going to be pretty much the best sound you can get in a bronco.

Hells to the yea!

That will be absolutely bitchin'. Should do all things well.

Marsh

Hells to the yea!

That will be absolutely bitchin'. Should do all things well.

Thanks, it defiantly will, the jl speakers have great sound and im getting speakers to hit all ranges of sound. I got the highest watt amp they make for marine use, so it should push the speakers enough to drown out all the bronco noise, and maybe set off a few car alarms.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I use those subs in my f250 and their decent for shallow mounts. BUT, that amp is junk!

Uh . . . based on what? %) I've been running one for more than a year and it's been a solid performer. Admittedly, they are over rated on their power specs (I base their real specs on the fuses), but mine has run cool and clean. Are you calling them junk because you just dont recognize the name, or do you have actual experience with them?

panteramatt

Um i know the brand. Ive been buying audio equipment for 20 years. They are extremely over rated. It has a 10 amp fuse come on. For $100 more u can get a kicker or rf amp that will blow that thing out of the water! When have u seen PA anything at an audio show? Theres a reason for that. Theres times to be cheap but when it ce to car audio you get what you get. You dont have to spend a lot. I could build you a beautiful system for about $600-$800 for everything including cables.

panteramatt

Op, you need to look at the new RF amps. They are tiny powerhouses! I put one in my wifes bronco and it fit up in the dash and powers all 4 speakers awesome! Its like 8" long!

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Um i know the brand. Ive been buying audio equipment for 20 years. They are extremely over rated. It has a 10 amp fuse come on. For $100 more u can get a kicker or rf amp that will blow that thing out of the water! When have u seen PA anything at an audio show? Theres a reason for that. Theres times to be cheap but when it ce to car audio you get what you get. You dont have to spend a lot. I could build you a beautiful system for about $600-$800 for everything including cables.

I OWN one, which is more than your experience. I've been buying mobile audio stuff for 20 years too, big deal. It's a 30/40 amp fuse (depending on model) and I specifically mentioned their specs are over rated and one should go by the fuse capacity %) And who cares if they pay for space at an audio show. I've been to dozens of trade conventions. Just because a manufacturer is/isn't there means nothing.

Look, I never said it was the best, I just said it was an affordable Class D (OP mentioned being on a budget) that has performed well for me and fits on the side of the enclosure if he wanted to mount it that way so everything is in one package. I've also bought big name stuff too (our other vehicle is a JL sub pushed by a RF Prime amp), I was just relaying to the OP that this was an affordable combo that pushed a lot of air but has a small footprint. So stop blowing smoke.