• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can someone recommend some good valve covers?

Daniel78

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I have a 302 v8 in my 74 Bronco. My oil is leaking everywhere and I'm sure it's 'cause my valve covers are warped. I bought a set of covers from Wild Horses (the set on this page) but they didn't fit! The type of gasket that I've been using forever just didn't fit in the valve cover. I didn't want to mod the gasket or make my own, so I returned the valve covers. (Anyone else have this problem?)

I'd like some sturdy valve covers that won't warp easily. I'd love to hear your recommendations if you have any.

Thanks.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What kind of gasket are you using? Those valve covers from Wildhorses should have worked. It will be hard to recommend anything knowing those wouldn't work.

ShaggyBronco

Shoot, while you all are at it, how about a recommendation for good valve covers for a carbed 351W.

I just noticed that I am having the same problems as Daniel...though I have some el cheapo thin aluminum ones though.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Are you sure your valve covers are warped? I would check and make sure the head surface is clean and level. I would then use some cork gaskets with some gasket sealer. Use a flat edge to see if your covers are warped. It seems odd your old cover and the new ones from Wildhorses are warped.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Be sure you have the correct PCV valve and it's working...if not, you may be pressurizing your system.
good luck!
Mikey

OP
OP
D

Daniel78

daddyg said:
It seems odd your old cover and the new ones from Wildhorses are warped.

The new ones weren't warped, but the gaskets wouldn't sit in the covers right because the size and shape were slightly off. I know the gaskets were the right shape and size because they fit perfectly into my old covers. It's bizarre, I know.

Does anyone have those Bronco covers working right?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
84-85 Mustang. Good thick aluminum especially around the bolt bosses. The look good polished. They won't clear roller rockers. I know where you can get a pair for $50 plus shipping.

Attachments

• 108_0805.JPG
    108_0805.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 43

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I'm using the "Bronco" script valve covers and don't have any leaks. I'm also using the cork gaskets if that matters?

You're not overtorquing them are you? I've also heard some using the rubber gaskets with success but I just can't give in to what works for me.

Tman

Loc.
Washington Twp., MI
Bronco covers

I just drove down to Bronco graveyard and bought some of the Bronco Valve covers, trimmed in black. WH's, Tom's, & Bronco GY all sell them in the catalogs, but they are cheaper at the BGY. I had to trim 2 tabs off my gaskets but it was no big deal, they have been on for a few weeks and no leaks. I also used rubber gaskets instead of cork. Just don't over tighten them and you'll be fine. They look sweet too!

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
----I seem to remember trimming the rubber style gaskets to fit within the lip area better when I ran those style gaskets--I performed a mod to mine which is kinda scary to do to $139 valve covers-- what I did was remove the lip on the valve covers with a grinder to allow use of the most modern gaskets,, the ones that are basically a steel ring with rubber embossed on it,, these gaskets are leak free & blowout proof & require no tabs or sealant to stay in place or more sealant for sealing & also can't be over tightened ,but will only work on valve covers without lips,, my problem shown in the second pic is crankcase pressure spitting residue from the breather so currently I working on a remote breather oil catch can

Attachments

• P5151470.JPG
    P5151470.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 31
  • P5071369.JPG
    P5071369.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 69

72Sport

Bronco Guru
I have never had any type of valve cover leak, stock or aluminum. I use contact cement to glue the cork or rubberized cork gasket to the valve cover. Let it dry for a several hours. Coat the head side of the gasket with lithium grease and install it. I torque them down evenly with a inch pounds torque wrench to the point that they just start to distort the gasket. Never had one leak yet. Before changing to the Mustang finned aluminum valve covers I reused the same cover gaskets at least three times on stock valve covers with no leaks. I just wiped them off added more grease and retorqued them.

With the stock valve covers I always straightened them around the bolt holes. Cleaned off the old sealer etc with acetone. This method has worked for me since the 60's.

Do the Bronco valve covers have baffles on the inside to prevent the oil from splashing on the vent?

OP
OP
D

Daniel78

Thanks for all the info.

I ordered some nice Ford covers, so that's taken care of. However, I like all the advice on gaskets and sealers & stuff, so please go on about that if you feel like it. I'd love to hear more ideas. I'm tired of leaks!