• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Can you identify this bad engine noise?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
If it is a rod or piston problem you should be able to isolate it by removing the spark plug wire from one cylinder at a time with the engine running. You might take the wire loose and then start it up to avoid getting shocked. The sound should decrease considerably on the bad cylinder with the wire off. Move the wire on and off the plug while it is running. The noise should get a lot louder with the wire on. Can't tell much from the recording. Must be my speakers.

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
[quote author=72Sport link=board=5;threadid=12788;start=15#96028 date=1041370873]<br>If it is a rod or piston problem you should be able to isolate it by removing the spark plug wire from one cylinder at a time with the engine running. You might take the wire loose and then start it up to avoid getting shocked. The sound should decrease considerably on the bad cylinder with the wire off. Move the wire on and off the plug while it is running. The noise should get a lot louder with the wire on. Can't tell much from the recording. Must be my speakers.<br>[/quote]<br><br>doh, wishI had read thisone BEFORE pulling the pan! :-U

72Sport

Bronco Guru
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=12788;start=15#96054 date=1041374446]<br>[quote author=72Sport link=board=5;threadid=12788;start=15#96028 date=1041370873]<br>If it is a rod or piston problem you should be able to isolate it by removing the spark plug wire from one cylinder at a time with the engine running. You might take the wire loose and then start it up to avoid getting shocked. The sound should decrease considerably on the bad cylinder with the wire off. Move the wire on and off the plug while it is running. The noise should get a lot louder with the wire on. Can't tell much from the recording. Must be my speakers.<br>[/quote]<br><br>doh, wishI had read thisone BEFORE pulling the pan! :-U<br>[/quote]<br><br>Don't feel bad I have spent a lot of hours in detention hall at the School of Hard Knocks!<br><br>My feeling were I should have posted it a few minutes earlier. He is all ready pulling the pan.

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
Hey 72sport, its probably best I pulled it anyway.

So guys i just cant tell you how excited I am. Check out the oilpan!
PC310030.JPG

Doh! Lotsa little pieces of metal in the oil pan! So does this happen from a spun bearing? Or something worse? And with a spun bearing it sounds like its not just a replace the bearing type of deal. So whats next?

Oh ya, I couldnt tell anything buy rocking the crank. Might not really know what I am trying to find though.

Guess I should talk the wife into putting the 5.0 in the garge out a grand marquis in it. Was slated for the F150 but the Bronco is way more important!

Thanks for all you help!

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I feel for ya 66......That picture is making ME sick to my stomach thinking you only have 5 miles on her. Mine is making nearly the same sound but it has quite a bit more mileage that yours. Let us know exactly what you find if you dig into it anymore.<br><br>Good luck

72Sport

Bronco Guru
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=12788;start=15#96092 date=1041379006]<br>Hey 72sport, its probably best I pulled it anyway.<br><br>So guys i just cant tell you how excited I am. Check out the oilpan!<br>
PC310030.JPG
<br><br>Doh! Lotsa little pieces of metal in the oil pan! So does this happen from a spun bearing? Or something worse? And with a spun bearing it sounds like its not just a replace the bearing type of deal. So whats next?<br><br>Oh ya, I couldnt tell anything buy rocking the crank. Might not really know what I am trying to find though.<br><br>Guess I should talk the wife into putting the 5.0 in the garge out a grand marquis in it. Was slated for the F150 but the Bronco is way more important!<br><br>Thanks for all you help!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Fifty pounds of oil pressure at idle doesn't sound like a bad bearing. I would turn it over by hand and look for something loose or a broken piston. Bearing usually come a part in flakes or shavings. Your stuff looks like chunks of something. Look at the under side of the pistons and the cam. I have never had a cam go flat so I don't know what kind of chips they make. Did you break in the cam before you drove it?<br><br>I went through this same thing with a Dodge MH (3 times). Good luck. If you need a 351 my brother in Chula Vista has a couple of rebuildable cores.<br>

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
I know we all hate to pay someone elce but it seems this might be the time ti take her into a good shp and have someone take a look but before you do recheck eveything cuz I know in my case it always seems to be the easiest thing<br>good luck

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
Ouch 66, that just hurts my eyes to see. Can you see any of your piston skirts? Maybe the metal chunks are a broken piston skirt? Either way a complete tear down is probably the best thing to do now. That sucks man, I hope its something not too vital.<br>Good Luck.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Some things in life are just flat WRONG !! It sounded like a loose rod but those hunks of aluminum look like piston to me . A broken skirt or maybe something foreign on top of it . The post mortem will tell , I feel your pain man .

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Ouch. <br><br>Cracked piston leading quickly to a broken piston. You can hear it sliding and slapping the bore if you listen closely.<br><br>Man, I'm keeping my fingers crossed my 351W doesn't sound like that when I start it up for the first time.