• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

cant get my rotor off

panteramatt

20190921_1446458520.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Removed my wheel and snapped 2 studs. I did a disc brake conversion years ago but forget which one. I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the rotor off to get these studs out. ALso anyone know what size they are?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
You have to remove the rotor and hub assembly by removing the bearings. Once you have it off you can either press or hammer out the studs and then install new ones. I pressed my new ones in but you can install them other ways if you are careful. The studs hold the rotor to the hub from the back side, they are pressed into the hub assembly. The studs are 1/2" 20 tpi. I cant remember how long they are but you can measure a good one from your setup.
Hope it helps, good luck with the project!

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
You haven't TAKEN OFF the Spindle Nut, Locking Ring, etc.....
(You will probably need a Spindle Nut Wrench or hammer & Flathead Screw Driver...)

Basically, EVERYTHING that is holding the Hub & Rotor on...

OP
OP
P

panteramatt

Theres no nut on there thats why Im asking. I thought maybe changing over to discs did away with the nut. I have a dana 44 socket

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Changing hubs shouldn't matter. Like they said if the spindle nuts are of it should come loose. If it's still stuck tap it with the bfg. Just dont go crazy

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Once the hub is off the spindle, you can use a big hammer and a brass drift to knock the lugs out. Knock them back in the same way. That's how I do it anyway.
These things were made so you could repair them anywhere.

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the picture it looks as though the inner workings of the lock-out hub are still in place. You need to get them out before you can get to the spindle nuts.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
When you presser pound the new studs make sure they're all the way seated. Otherwise it can lead to rotor issues

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did a disc brake conversion years ago but forget which one.

That one is a GM/Ford setup.
Uses a GM caliper, caliper mounting bracket and spindle. Hoses are usually custom, but some stock applications may fit.
The hub and rotor assembly are '76-'79 (plus a few other years) Ford 1/2 ton and Bronco. Rear seal is a #4250 for same Ford hub.
Wheel bearings and races are common to both.
Locking hub mechanism would be for the typical Ford, GM and Dodge applications.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Whatever you do dont pull the stud in with a nut. It will over stress the studs.

Jfryjfry

Whatever you do dont pull the stud in with a nut. It will over stress the studs.

People have been doing this for decades with no problems so I wouldn’t classify it as a “never ever” option. Pressing them in is the best way but if you are going to pull them in with a nut, use lots of grease, especially under the nut.