• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cant get the hub and rotor off

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
Mkay, the picture is how the hub looks. BTW this is what it looked like when I bought it. I bought new lockouts and they are on the way. I want to change out the bearings as well but I cant get the hub and rotor off. Ive already read a bunch of threads and looked at all the exploded views of the Dana 44 et cetera. Not much help, I dont want to go whacking on things with the BFH and screw something up.

Caliper is off, the ring that rides inside the lip of the hub is out. I tried to fish out the ring (with the bolt holes in it) but it seams to be larger in diameter than the lip on the hub. What now? Heeeelp!

Attachments

• Hub.jpg
    Hub.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 84

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Take the locking hub out. Under that is a nut you'll need a hub disassemble tool for (autozone has them just make sure you get the right one), then a washer, then another nut, under that is the outer bearing. Remove hub, bingo!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Grab the two lockout ears/tabs and pull. Should bring the flange with the six threaded holes out with it. You will find a spring and cup as well as the lockout mechanism behind it. Remove those and you will have access to the hub nuts. You will need a hub socket to get them loose. A small pick set and some PB Blaster are your friends.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
There might be a snap ring in the middle of the hub, gotta take that out too. It goes around the axle shaft

I choose to screw two of the screws that hold the outer cap in place back into the locking hub on opposing sides and pull it out. That might help as well.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Save all of your old pieces. Somebody may need a small part and you will be a hero for helping them.

OP
OP
KS.76Sport

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
I sprayed the crap out of it with PB, brushed, wiped and cleaned as best as its gonna get. I pulled pulled and pulled on those "ears" while lining up the ring with the holes in it, It aint coming. That ring with the bolt holes in it has a "lip" on the backside that is bigger than the lip on the hub. You can see the lip in the pic from about 7 to 11. I pushed a pin through one of the holes to see if its a separate piece behind it, its solid. Is this abnormal? A different design? Or am I just not doing something right? I dont see any other rings outboard of the plates that are visible in the pic. Geesh! Id have never guessed it would be this hard.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you take the snap ring off. It's on the hub.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Looks like you pulled the snap ring off of the axle stub, but from the picture the large one that fits in the grove on the outside diameter of the hub may still be there. That's what holds everything in.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Mkay, the picture is how the hub looks. BTW this is what it looked like when I bought it. I bought new lockouts and they are on the way. I want to change out the bearings as well but I cant get the hub and rotor off. Ive already read a bunch of threads and looked at all the exploded views of the Dana 44 et cetera. Not much help, I dont want to go whacking on things with the BFH and screw something up.

Caliper is off, the ring that rides inside the lip of the hub is out. I tried to fish out the ring (with the bolt holes in it) but it seams to be larger in diameter than the lip on the hub. What now? Heeeelp!

Put a pry bar under the tabs there and push tords the rotor agaists the edge of the steel hob the ring with the 6 bolts will pop out ( its only 1/4 inch thick)then rest will follow

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Save all of your old pieces. Somebody may need a small part and you will be a hero for helping them.

x2

I've still got my factory "Ford" hubs that I changed out 15 years ago. Never know when they will need to be used.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
There is a snap ring in front of the piece with the bolt holes. Tap the part with the screw holes in a little and you should be able to get the c-clip out with a little creative usage of a couple of screwdrives or a pickset.

The axle clip is clearly missing and it appears the axle side piece has possibly seen some wear from running further out that it's supposed to.

TD

Nightstick

Bronco guy
not sure if this makes a difference or not, but did you unlock the hub before taking the cover off?

OP
OP
KS.76Sport

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
Hooowhammy!! The best 12 bucks Ive spent all year! I love this site! I put a screwdriver across the hub under the ears, couple yanks and it came out.

Most definately guys I'll be saving all my parts. If I can return the favor to one of my new Bro's I will.

Now to get the spindle nut socket and away I go. :D

Mountain Ram: I noticed the wear on piece around the shaft as well, didnt think it was right. What internally would cause that? Should I replace it?

Attachments

• Hub parts.jpg
    Hub parts.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 43

farzadmip

Definately sounds like the big snap ring to me too guys... I would almost bet a hundred or so dollhairs on it.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
just super sized the picture and the outer snap ring looks like its still in there. Along the out side edge of the hub theres a little lip with a snap ring in there pop that out with a pick or pocket screw driver.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Mountain Ram: I noticed the wear on piece around the shaft as well, didnt think it was right. What internally would cause that? Should I replace it?

The outer part of the lockout looks fine to me. They are forged pieces and weren't machined to a fine finish. Some look nicer than others. It is the teeth and splines that are the important part.

If you ordered new lockouts those will get replaced anyway. What kind did you order by the way? The original hubs/lockouts are hard to beat as far as strength and simplicity.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
There is a large inside ring that holds the 6 bolt doo dah in place. You will need an ice pic or a very small screw driver to get it out. And put the axle snap ring back in place. It may take some pressure off of th out side ring. If no workie call me 972 754 9210

And a dana 44 hub is locked in when you remove the 6 allen head bolts. So for a reinstall always put the locking mechanism in the lock position.