• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carb?

rollrock77

Contributor
Wondering about some thoughts on a good aftermarket carb for my 73? Its a stock 302... primarily driving on the street, maybe a little offroad but nothing significant. Appreciate any suggestions!

66Bronco

I'm really liking the Holley Truck avenger carburetor. If you don't need something geared for performance the stock Ford 2BBL is a good choice.

-Terry

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Street only edlebrock is decent any offroad I'd go with a holley. I dont think much of qjets not even sure how they fit under a stock hood as they also require a adapter.
But as was said you really cant beat the stock 2v carb.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Motorcraft 2V (2150) Carb is a great carb. They did, however, come in different sizes.

The is a number on the drivers side front of the carb. This number has a circle around it. Not sure about the 73, but it would be a 1.08 (287 cfm) or a 1.21 (351 cfm). There are other sizes as well, but the 1.21 venturi carb would be plenty for a stock 302.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
470 Holley TA. Great carb for any small displacement V8. If you think you will build this engine up then maybe get the 670 Holley TA.
Not cheap but idiot proof.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
After running the holley & carter/edelbrock I now run a q-jet on both broncos. Holley wouldnt stay in tune for more than a couple weeks. The edelbrocks ran great on the street with almost no maintenance but didnt work off road. I have the q-jets mounted on our 351w's with no exra adaptet. Could probably do the same on a 302

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
Steve L,
How did you mount the Qjet without an adapter? This would definately help someone considering this carb. as it 's a general thought that these carbs require an adapter on anything but a GM manifold.

Thanks John

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Offenhauser makes a manifold similar to a performer that has the stud holes for square & spreadbore carbs. U need to modify the butterfly holes in the manifold a little, but it's easy. I had one of em in the for sale section for a 351w

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The standard holley carbs run fine thats what I've always run and never had any issues. Also did a tech article on doing TA like mods. which like the carb you linked to seem to work fine. The only real differance with a TA carb is they have some check valves in the metering blocks that help prevent fuel from free flowing into the manifold at extreme angles. but really they had lots of issues with them on the first gen carbs the newer ones seem to have way less issues.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I have a 470 Holley Truck Avenger. I just changed the power valve to a 7.5 and boy now i can really step on it and it wont bog out. Imo a 470 is perfect for a stock to mild 302. A 670 is too much carb.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2