• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carbed 5.0 Timing question?

Emanonjb

Loc.
New Kent, VA
Ok, simple question...what should a carbed 5.0 liter's timing be set at.....10 degrees or 6....? wasn't sure if the fact that now there is no computer and a different distributer made a difference.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would set it at whatever it runs best at. Older engines liked 10° a lot of times, but not sure about later ones.
Keep trying different settings until it pings under heavy acceleration and then back off a couple of degrees. Should be good to go from there.

Paul

markperry

Bronco Guru
I would set it at whatever it runs best at. Older engines liked 10° a lot of times, but not sure about later ones.
Keep trying different settings until it pings under heavy acceleration and then back off a couple of degrees. Should be good to go from there.

Paul

X2 on setting it where it runs best...Not pinging and no hesitation at start-up, and good acceleration.....8-12

Bronco_46256

Loc.
Elkhart
I am at 12 degrees initial on my carbed 5.0. Cam is a little warm though

I have a total of 30 degrees mechanical.

Everything I have read says they like 38-42 total between mechanical and initial, so I should be right in there.

Starts good and pulls strong.