• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

carbon fiber body pannels?

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
I'm thinking of making some carbon fiber body pannels but I don't want to make them jsut for me due to the cost of manufacturing. I'm just wondering what everyone would be interested in. Is there more intest in interior body pannels or exterior body pannels. If I get a bunch of people wanting the same parts I would probably make some and sell them for a little proffet. I already want to make the inner door pannels that all the door handles go through. I can also do fiber glass work or make some stuff out of kevlar or mabie even spectra. I have no idea how much any parts would cost right now. I would have to look into it more. Thanks for the interest and any sugestions would be great.

maverickconner

I would like to see a new style of Hood,,, that would be pretty cool with carbon fiber,,, also, what about a dash overlay?

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
what do you mean by the dash overlay? Is that the vylan part that covers the upper part of the dash? also give me some ideas on what you would like on a hood.

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
i still want to make some of those but i'm wondering if there is interest for othe parts as well. Don't worry anbout the pannels I'm planning on making some as soon as I have time. There has been enough interest in those I will go into a small production and see how it works.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Okie dokie ;D

I would like some of those panels, sound good ;D

Dash overlay would be the dash itself, not vinyl. You'd take an existing dash and make a template so that one could cover "overlay" the original. Could be made in one flat piece to only cover the flat portion, or curved at the top to cover entire dash. I would prefer one rectancular piece only covering flat portion. Simpler. Also would allow some paint on the dash to be shown...a good combo with pad and fiber, some color in between. If you can do the panels, this should be a piece O cake ;)

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
i'll be making the molds for the door pannels either tonight or tomarrow night. I'll take lots of pics and post them. I should have a set of door pannels for myself by the end of the week. I will also post pics of them. Keep the ideas comming. I figured for a dash over lay I Would just make a flat sheet and let people cut there own holes for guadges or whatever the wanted. would that work for ya?

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Edges sanded down and corners slightly rounded would be perfect. Guidance on successful cutting methods/tools would be greatly appreciated as I have only bought that material, never worked it. You could just include glove box and column cutout...that would still be universal for most ;)

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
can do. I've found the best thing to cut it when it's been cured is either a cut off wheel or a ban saw of jig saw or something simmilar. If needed you could sent measurents and palns and I could pre cut it for you.

Glad to have some support. I'll let you know what I come up with.

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
now one problem I just realizes in the pannel I will be pulling th mold iff of is from a 66. It's differnet than the ones you have. But I guess I could just cut the window nob hole and let you cut the rest. Or you can sent be some measuements and work from there. Looks like i'll need some help getting this done right.

CC135_inND

Loc.
Fayetteville, TN
Dr. Awsome said:
now one problem I just realizes in the pannel I will be pulling th mold iff of is from a 66. It's differnet than the ones you have. But I guess I could just cut the window nob hole and let you cut the rest. Or you can sent be some measuements and work from there. Looks like i'll need some help getting this done right.

That would be sweet for me since I have a 67, so they would work great. Let me know. THX

maverickconner

The dash overlay, something like the dimond plate ones that are out there.,, for the hood, more like the 03,04' mustang hoods, with that little recess and a rear scoop.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Dr. Awsome said:

Can you get access to a later one for template use ?:?

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Me and my buddy were just talking about some of this the other day.
How about a carbon fiber, full length bikini/safari top?
Use the stock bolt holes on the wind shield and some brakets to hold it to your cage.
Similar to what some folks have done with hard tops.

OP
OP
Dr. Awsome

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
like I said earlyer I can make anything you want it's just a matter of money.
I can proably get a hold of some later pannels. I'll check the wrecking yards to see if they have any. If not I might just buy some if I can sell enough of these.