• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor hook-up questions

Nowik35

Ok so I think I'm getting to the final stages of hooking up my engine but I'm down to final tubing questions. I don't know what should and shouldn't be hooked up the the carb besides fuel. I know there's a distributor vacuum line that should go somewhere. And of course before I tore the engine apart I didn't take any helpful pictures, and I can't find anything on the Internet that resembles my self up. I do know I have a 170 6cyl. An autolite single barrel carb that I rebuilt but I have no idea what the model number is. Anyways I'll start with the one blurry picture I have of the carb when it came home. The outdoor looks like it had two hoses at one point mounted to a aluminum union that screwed into my intake manifold. What is that or should I say was that? Now on my rebuild pictures I know where the fuel goes (I figured out this much) can people help me identify on my pictures what hole 1 through 8 goes where, or leave it empty, and what size tubing to use???? Thank you. These questions really show my lack of knowledge
https://flic.kr/p/2pdzTU1 https://flic.kr/p/2pdB9QP https://flic.kr/p/2pdvsL4

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
These may help.

Attachments

• PVC.pdf
    559.8 KB · Views: 4
  • VAC HOSE.pdf
    486.5 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

So I don't think my old set up ever had a vacuum pump, can I still get away without it? I'm thinking vacuum point 7 and 8 just plumb to a T into point 4? Would that satisfy the function for the distributor?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
My '68 has a Carter carb, not an Autolite, but is set up similarly

1. Goes to PVC
2 & 3 don't exist on the Carter carb. I'm pretty sure even on the Autolite, those are just castings in the carb, they aren't vacuum ports. You'd need to verify that though.
4. I have a vacuum tree there. Two of the three ports are plugged and the other goes to what you have labeled as #7 on the vacuum advance
5. Goes to what you have labeled as #8 on the vacuum advance
6. Goes to the air cleaner

Attachments

• 20231103_153249.jpg
    20231103_153249.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231103_153241.jpg
    20231103_153241.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231103_153200.jpg
    20231103_153200.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231103_153259.jpg
    20231103_153259.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231103_153316.jpg
    20231103_153316.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 11

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
So I don't think my old set up ever had a vacuum pump, can I still get away without it?
The vacuum pump was only to assist the vacuum wipers.
It is not needed for any of the engine and ignition systems.

I'm thinking vacuum point 7 and 8 just plumb to a T into point 4? Would that satisfy the function for the distributor?
NO

It looks like you have a Holley 1V carb.

Appears there should be a brass fitting screwed into #3.
I think it is ported vacuum and would be used for vacuum advance on distributor.
If #3 is not threaded, then #5 might be ported vacuum for vacuum advance?

holley.jpg

#7 is vacuum advance.
#1 would go to PCV valve in one end of valve cover.
#6 is fresh air supply for PCV system, and comes from air filter housing.

#4 had an intake manifold fitting screwed into it, that had a couple of hoses connected to it (the really blury photo you posted with the question mark).
#4 is manifold vacuum for:
A) power brake booster (I remember seeing in one of your posts),
B) to control air bypass valve, and distributor vacuum advance control valve See first photo in post #3
C) distributor vacuum retard, #8 in you photo.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Fitting would look like 9A474.
(PP-38) PLUG is a 3/8 pipe plug that could be replaced with a fitting for vacuum booster.

fitting.jpg

OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

I love this forum you guys are so helpful!! Thank you! So to answer some questions on here my port 2 and 3 on my carb are real and are threaded. I do not have a brake booster. I do not have vacuum wipers. I do not have a vacuum line on my mechanical fuel pump. So that leaves only the two lines on my distributor 7 and 8 that I need to know where to go.
So 7 is the vacuum advance
8 is the vacuum retard
So 3 should tie to 7
4 should tie to 8.
I should plug port 2 or just leave it alone?
Connect 5 to 1
And 6 should go to Air filter once I get one??

Do I understand everyone correctly?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
I love this forum you guys are so helpful!! Thank you! So to answer some questions on here my port 2 and 3 on my carb are real and are threaded. I do not have a brake booster. I do not have vacuum wipers. I do not have a vacuum line on my mechanical fuel pump. So that leaves only the two lines on my distributor 7 and 8 that I need to know where to go.
So 7 is the vacuum advance
8 is the vacuum retard
So 3 should tie to 7
4 should tie to 8.
Yes
I should plug port 2 or just leave it alone?
Looks like the Holley 1940 (model #) carb has a "spark power valve" that screws into port #2, see item 48 in below picture.
Connect 5 to 1
Yes, if 5 is into top of valve cover?
And 6 should go to Air filter once I get one??
Yes
Do I understand everyone correctly?
You may want to google "Holley 1940" and go to https://www.vintage-mustang.com/ for more info.

H1-1940.jpg