• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Carburetor Gasket Sealent

f2502011

Yes I know typically a no-no, but if you have to use a sealant what would you recommend? Gasgacinch, permatex high tack gasket sealant, Indian head shellac or?

doran4x

Contributor
Why are you wanting to put sealant on gasket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

f2502011

To see if it will seal an air leak that I haven’t been able to seal otherwise through different gaskets, machining etc.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I were going to use a sealant, I would try the Permatex spray on copper.
You can get a nice thin layer without creating something thick enough to squeeze out.

But ditto on the shaft.
And also make sure that the gaskets match the manifold and carburetor. Some manifolds have a very thin rail on at least one side of the carburetor, and it’s hard to get a good seal there.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
In the past I've had luck with doubling up on gaskets. Never tried sealant.

I see you tried machining?? We would check for warpage with a file on the bottom of the carb base and then the mounting surface of the manifold. That usually would fix things if there was a leak between the two surfaces.

Are you sure it's leaking at the gasket?

OP
OP
F

f2502011

It’s a Holley 4 barrel on a Ford Performance over the counter intake for a small block.

The leak just started and I’m not exactly sure where it’s coming from but vacuum leaks at the carb have been an issue in the past. It just also got cold here and I’m not sure if that’s a factor.

I don’t have enough clearance to double up on gaskets.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

What carb are you using??

Throttle shafts have been known to wear and create vacuum leaks.

Remove all linkage and springs and try wiggling the shaft. Quick and free.
Wiggle which way and what would I be looking for?

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Wiggle which way and what would I be looking for?
Side to side and up and down. Pretty much any direction. In and out shouldn't cause a leak.

Have you started to use oil? The intake manifold even on the inside of the lifter valley can cause vacuum leaks.

What are the symptoms that you have noticed?

Can you hear the leak?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If I had to use something, I would use some grease. Yes, grease the gasket. It will seal a leak. If the leak is really bad you will see the blow trail in the grease as you take it apart.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

What size/thickness gasket are you using????
I have to use one on the thinner side otherwise the air cleaner and hood rub. Some stumbling and inconsistent throttle response. Probably been like this a while but yesterday was the first time I actually heard it. Minimal vacuum lines on the vehicle checked all of those. Has to be at the carb because it’s done it before. I’m going to try the grease. Done that before on other gaskets with some success. Any particular type? I’ve also used Indian head shellac before on other cars and seemed to fix it. What about a thin layer of that or some Gasgacinch? Or I could do gasgacinch on the intake side and grease on the carb side?

OP
OP
F

f2502011

Side to side and up and down. Pretty much any direction. In and out shouldn't cause a leak.

Have you started to use oil? The intake manifold even on the inside of the lifter valley can cause vacuum leaks.

What are the symptoms that you have noticed?

Can you hear the leak?
Should have absolutely no movement or minimal?

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I have to use one on the thinner side otherwise the air cleaner and hood rub
Gotcha......The carb gaskets I've always used have only been like .020 to .030 thick. I do run a phenolic spacer but that has gaskets on both manifold and carb sides.

I also use a VERY thin coat of grease on carb gaskets. Been doing that since the '60s........

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have to use one on the thinner side otherwise the air cleaner and hood rub.
Is this a 351? Or are you using a taller intake than normal?
Or are your body bushings sagged out?
I’ve used the stock air cleaners and the super thick, insulating gaskets before, with no trouble.
Do you have any kind of a spacer under the carburetor?
Just curious what is causing your clearance issue.
Some stumbling and inconsistent throttle response. Probably been like this a while but yesterday was the first time I actually heard it.
Do you have any vacuum caps blocking unused ports? They often fail far too quickly and you can’t always see the leaks, except in the thick rubber ones where they show the cracks.
Definitely worth checking any caps.

OP
OP
F

f2502011

It’s a 302. Has an intake like Shelby would have used so it is higher than normal. The shafts have minimal to no movement and are essentially the same in all directions.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
This is a process of elimination. You have some good ideas given on things to check. Keep crossing them off your list. Every time you are one step closer.

Keep in mind new doesn't equate to good. Just did a bunch of work on my plow truck. 2 of the "new" items were bad out of the box. The ps pump was a rebuild and I knew better than to trust a rebuild . First time I've had a voltage regulator bad out of the box even though others have it happen.

Do you by chance have vacuum brakes?

OP
OP
F

f2502011

This is a process of elimination. You have some good ideas given on things to check. Keep crossing them off your list. Every time you are one step closer.

Keep in mind new doesn't equate to good. Just did a bunch of work on my plow truck. 2 of the "new" items were bad out of the box. The ps pump was a rebuild and I knew better than to trust a rebuild . First time I've had a voltage regulator bad out of the box even though others have it happen.

Do you by chance have vacuum brakes?
Brakes are manual. Only thing using a port on the vac block is the trans modulator. Other port is capped.